WTF Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do

there isn't a separate legal thread, and while I usually put law stuff in the politics thread, I think this can go here.

to be clear, while this is the cop thread, I'm quite certain the cops that arrested him wouldn't have guessed he'd be up for a life sentence for this, & the term "pig laws" referenced in the article isn't about that kind of pig, but I'm putting it here bc it relates back to the entire legal system being fucked.
I saw that yesterday. So incredibly fucked up.

I doubt the cop knew how much different video there was but it was a fair shoot.

It must be some kind of policy. I've seen it countless times not just in shootings but all kinds of situations where the cops just will not render aid. They'll block traffic and call an ambulance but they won't even try to do anything to help the people until the medics get there.
A 15 year old with a first aid class under their belt is a far better asset than that.
Sometimes it's because people still have weapons and they aren't supposed to approach until there is a plan to disarm. There's a couple videos I've seen where guy goes down, cop runs up to render aid and guy magically comes back to life enough to shoot them.

Around here PD come to a lot of medicals if they are closer than the FD. We have had a bunch ODs but don't have narcan, PD has been close by and used it before the FD gets there.

Sometimes it's because people still have weapons and they aren't supposed to approach until there is a plan to disarm. There's a couple videos I've seen where guy goes down, cop runs up to render aid and guy magically comes back to life enough to shoot them.

Around here PD come to a lot of medicals if they are closer than the FD. We have had a bunch ODs but don't have narcan, PD has been close by and used it before the FD gets there.

Makes sense if the cop is alone or there's multiple bad guys, etc. When there's only one attacker, he's down, and there's multiple cops they can do something. One control the hands, other check vitals, try to stop bleeding, or something other than just stand around.

My beef is really when they don't try to render aid when there is no danger or threat as I mention before.

As far as being dead when he hit the ground, eh, only if there's a brain or upper spine hit. Anything else takes at least some amount of time. Hunters are familiar with how that works. We have the same organs that do the same things.
Sometimes they can seemingly drop dead right there but they're really not dead yet. They just unconscious while they're losing blood or oxygen. Kind of went into shock or got knocked out like a Tyson punch but the systems are still working.

there isn't a separate legal thread, and while I usually put law stuff in the politics thread, I think this can go here.

to be clear, while this is the cop thread, I'm quite certain the cops that arrested him wouldn't have guessed he'd be up for a life sentence for this, & the term "pig laws" referenced in the article isn't about that kind of pig, but I'm putting it here bc it relates back to the entire legal system being fucked.
I've been reading about that stuff since you posted it last night. It's unfortunate and I don't think it's fair but the guy in question has only spent like 3 years of his life since he turned 20 outside of the prison system. He also pled guilty. He might not be violent but I doubt at this point he has the life skills to survive outside the prison system.

LA did apparently clean up it's multiple offender statute in 2017. It's not half as harsh as it used to be.

Btw the opposite of that is I've seen people get away with stealing literally hundreds of thousands of dollars worth movable property and basically get probation before judgement. Then go and do it again and again and again. Career theives are terrible. It's a lifestyle. MD upped felony theft to $1500 in one go (unless you can prove a scheme) and stuff went wild here. For comparison felony theft in NJ is $200.

I've been reading about that stuff since you posted it last night. It's unfortunate and I don't think it's fair but the guy in question has only spent like 3 years of his life since he turned 20 outside of the prison system. He also pled guilty. He might not be violent but I doubt at this point he has the life skills to survive outside the prison system.
.... and?

Sadly, that dude may want to stay there. Some do after that long. Guess he knows how to get back. :(

.... and?
Observations.

If we're looking for outcomes, he was fairly sentenced under the laws of the state of LA. You don't negotiate with the law. Render under Caesar etc. I'm also saying a this point is there a better outcome?

Officer sees three children exiting a vehicle that he was following because it made a misdemeanor traffic violation. Decides to open fire on the children.

Officer sees three children exiting a vehicle that he was following because it made a misdemeanor traffic violation. Decides to open fire on the children.

I'm trying to figure out why they got charged with possession of a firearm. Like if they got called hey some kids stole my gun, or if it was an after the fact thing makes a difference.

If you offer no resistance they have nothing to make mistakes on. Just act like it's an elaborate ruse, do exactly what they ask, don't verbally barrage them - you can form better answers to their questions than anything you could possibly say.
I was frustrated with listening to him. GFC - shut up and grab the wheel.

• Gravy
Reactions: ZRH