Food aww yea, it's meat night.

Intriguing. Details/recipe?
Mrs. Valve hit the nail on the head pretty good. It's not really a widespread thing, but it's one of those things that it was unique enough that combined with what was going on at the time it made me drive 2-3 hours out of the way to pick up a couple quarts of it for dad and I to share when I drove home.
You're more likely to find a regular North Carolina sauce if you go looking for it. Mustard based, brown sugar, little bit of heat/smoke for a bite. Also good, but not as good as this in my mind.

Anywho, here's what I did

Take pork shoulder or a picnic ham (Boston Butt has just a little too much fat for this to really work well if you ask me)
Toss it in a slow-cooker with enough apple cider vinegar to cover about an inch of the bottom of the cooker. Let it cook on low till it falls apart.
Drain the fluid, shred the meat, toss it back in the cooker on warm, mix in maybe a cup-1.5 cups of your premade "sauce" (more of juice, really)
Serve on a bun with hot sauce, and cole slaw. For the authentic Smithfield's BBQ experience, hot sauce should be Texas Pete, and your cole slaw should be fairly finely chopped, not shredded.

Sauce/Juice:
Two Cups of Apple Cider vinegar as a base
Tablespoon of decent yellow mustard
1-2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar (I think we went with about 1.5 this last time?)
Little bit of Worcestershire
Little hotsauce. - Or- Red Pepper flakes ground down to about the consistency of regular pepper
Little salt
Little pepper
Little garlic powder

Heat it in a pan/pot so that it all mixes well, when cool store in a clean jar or bottle.

I think we added a bit of paprika, maybe some tumeric? But we were just sort of playing around there.
All measurements are rough, we just sort of mixed and matched until it tasted right.

Bottom of the bottle we put it in looked like so
151006792IMG20151006160837.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: gee