Aww jesvs....

ChikkenNoodul said:
Ah, so shitty hardware is a possibility then.

I don't think it's shitty hardware. They're claiming they have logs of me deleting some of the SAN...which still doesn't make sense.
I just wish the guy would send the logs to me.

CletusJones said:
death is the only solution. if you follow these few easy steps, the problem will magically dissappear.

1. quickly locate an illegal firearms dealer and procure several assault weapons.
2. put on your army coat and hat
3. storm the data center and proclaim yourself to be "rambo - the network avenger" while you cut them all down in the prime of their lives.
4. .....
5. profit

Can't I just choke or drown myself in the honey nut cheerios I'm about to go get?

wr3kt said:
I don't think it's shitty hardware. They're claiming they have logs of me deleting some of the SAN...which still doesn't make sense.
I just wish the guy would send the logs to me.
if they're reluctant to send the logs it means they haven't forged them yet.

usually when people have nothing to hide they're quick to stick you to whatever they intend on blaming you for.

CletusJones said:
if they're reluctant to send the logs it means they haven't forged them yet.

usually when people have nothing to hide they're quick to stick you to whatever they intend on blaming you for.

I'll be able to tell if they forged them with the type of commands that are listed when they do, and damn well better, send me.

wr3kt said:
I'll be able to tell if they forged them with the type of commands that are listed when they do, and damn well better, send me.
how? you mentioned that the system is a linux box and they don't know linux... you'll be able to see it that way?

CletusJones said:
how? you mentioned that the system is a linux box and they don't know linux... you'll be able to see it that way?

Yea, all their systems are linux. The only thing that could have removed that much data is a rm -R command which removes everything regardless of what it is. Also a possibility is me formatting the 19TB, but I don't see that as a real possibility.

wr3kt said:
Yea, all their systems are linux. The only thing that could have removed that much data is a rm -R command which removes everything regardless of what it is. Also a possibility is me formatting the 19TB, but I don't see that as a real possibility.
Most storage subsystems are not system-wide formatable using OS commands.

In fact, I don't know of any that are - which means they must be cheap pieces of junk since I only have worked with EMC, IBM, HP, and Hitachi (Dell's larger systems are EMC) :p

You would only have been able to destroy data that the host you were on actually was able to 'see'.

ChikkenNoodul said:

In fact, I don't know of any that are - which means they must be cheap pieces of junk since I only have worked with EMC, IBM, HP, and Hitachi (Dell's larger systems are EMC) :p

You would only have been able to destroy data that the host you were on actually was able to 'see'.

It had the SAN mounted as a drive on it, but kinda takes way to many keystrokes to format.

ChikkenNoodul said:

we have EMC stuff in our new mainframe. Only about 750gb though.

CletusJones said:
we have EMC stuff in our new mainframe. Only about 750gb though.

It's just fun to say "terrabyte"...and then have a 19 in front of that.
It's still massive overkill for what they're doing. I honestly don't see how they need 19TB eve if they are a computer animation company. Not with as much backup as they're doing.

wr3kt said:
It's still massive overkill for what they're doing. I honestly don't see how they need 19TB eve if they are a computer animation company. Not with as much backup as they're doing.
Is it shared among several servers, that aren't clustered? That's a really awful way to set up a SAN.

CletusJones said:
omg, what retard set that up? that's a flogging.
ChikkenNoodul said:
That's a really shitty storage device.

This actually makes me feel not so bad anymore.

It's interesting to run a disk free check command and see it load up that 19TB drive.

I think their initial setup was a joke. There are way to many other options they had, but I don't think they understood the implications of creating that huge an array. If it's that big, it doesn't seem to have any sort of redundancy. None in fact, it seems.

wr3kt said:
it totally is :D

this new mainframe is sweet though, it's a unisys libra 500.

the old clearpath HMP that it's replacing only had 60gb storage. :eek:

ChikkenNoodul said:
Is it shared among several servers, that aren't clustered? That's a really awful way to set up a SAN.

Yea. It's setup between their rendering farm and the animators and such each have access to it to send their files too.
Theoretically, unless I missed something, one of the animators could kill the SAN just as easily. But I think they set up access rights, at least they better have.

CletusJones said:
it totally is :D

this new mainframe is sweet though, it's a unisys libra 500.

the old clearpath HMP that it's replacing only had 60gb storage. :eek:
60gb is hardcore. Yea...but I've learned from this that even the best computers and mainframe's, if set up shitty, are still pieces of crap.