Avoiding my own smell...

S

smileynev

...how do I do it? Whats the process and what hardware do I need? I'm assuming some of you nerds do it, and I want to know how you do it? I'm looking for something simple and cheap. I'm sick of my email address changing if I switch ISP's, and I don't want any of the free services out there.

I want something like [email protected] or [email protected].

Start by owning your own domain and having buying a permant IP the Domain can point to. Decide if you want a linux, Apple, or Windows email server. There are tons of free email server programs. Look on Sourceforge to see some examples.

b_sinning said:
Start by owning your own domain and having buying a permant IP the Domain can point to. Decide if you want a linux, Apple, or Windows email server. There are tons of free email server programs. Look on Sourceforge to see some examples.
this man speaks the truth. My domain (omg-stfu.com) is hosted on a linux server and I run qmail. It's suprisingly easy to set up once you have the hardware and the time. I used to have my own dedicated server at a local colocation, but it was easier for me to just pay someone else to do it, so that's what I do now. I pay $60/yearly for 1.5gb disk and unlimited everything else with 80gb transfer (with more available if i need it).

It's just easier to buy your own domain and hosting from someone else a year at a time. Probably cheaper over all. I just use my domain as a permant e-mail forwarder but I can jusr recieve e-mail there too if I desired.

If you host your own look into Spammassasin.

b_sinning said:
It's just easier to buy your own domain and hosting from someone else a year at a time. Probably cheaper over all. I just use my domain as a permant e-mail forwarder but I can jusr recieve e-mail there too if I desired.

If you host your own look into Spammassasin.
I have spamasssassin running, it works fabulous. I don't really need it though, my server is RFC compliant and is very strict on what it requires from the sending server. It tends to bounce most of my spam anyway because all of that information is either spoofed or not present. It sucks though because our mailserver at work isn't RFC compliant, I had to tweak some settings here and there so that It'd always accept mail from my work domain. :rolleyes:

I assure you that you do not want to do this all on your own. Get hosting from someone else, not your own hardware. I know where you can get cheap domains too

jaxxor said:
I assure you that you do not want to do this all on your own. Get hosting from someone else, not your own hardware. I know where you can get cheap domains too

You got a connection? Someone that could hook me up?

:fly:

At this point and time I don't have the time to do a lot of setting up on my own.