Avid Electricians...

smileynev said:
I am going from the source, to an outlet, to the switch, to the light, up a floor, to another outlet, to a switch, to another light.
it sounds like you're fucked then. don't you have any frien....oh wait, sorry.

Wait, this is retarded. Just run from one to another. The other side of the switch goes to the light (thus turning it off and on) not the next user in the series. Turning off the light switch would do nothing to the outlet, only the light run off the other side of the switch.

bast_imret said:
Wait, this is retarded. Just run from one to another. The other side of the switch goes to the light (thus turning it off and on) not the next user in the series. Turning off the light switch would do nothing to the outlet, only the light run off the other side of the switch.

I'm talking about an outlet placed after the light, not the one before it.

smileynev said:
I am going from the source, to an outlet, to the switch, to the light, up a floor, to another outlet, to a switch, to another light.

No, you are going from source, to outlet, to switch, up a floor to outlet, to switch. You'd reun separate wire from the switch to the light. You just have to make sure that the lights you are running to aren't drawing too much power, such as a chandiler with a multitude of high rated bulbs.

smileynev said:

this still makes no sense. Run from source, go to outlet, then to switch, then to outlet, then to switch. The switches will have a different line that runs to the light and powers it off the circuit. Turning off the switch will nto affect anything else on the circuit.

smileynev said:
In addition to the switched output of the switch, there should also be a pass through set of terminals as well. You should be able to wire for both. Personally I don't see why you're doing it this way though. You should grab the power (in parallel) from the main line (in this case the outlets) and install your switch between the constant power and the thing you want to be switched, then call it a day. You're making this more work than it has to be.

bast_imret said:
No, you are going from source, to outlet, to switch, up a floor to outlet, to switch. You'd reun separate wire from the switch to the light. You just have to make sure that the lights you are running to aren't drawing too much power, such as a chandiler with a multitude of high rated bulbs.
He sucks at explaining, but I think he only wants to run ONE wire in series to all this stuff. Not branch off at the switch to the light...

CletusJones said:
In addition to the switched output of the switch, there should also be a pass through set of terminals as well. You should be able to wire for both. Personally I don't see why you're doing it this way though. You should grab the power (in parallel) from the main line (in this case the outlets) and install your switch between the constant power and the thing you want to be switched, then call it a day. You're making this more work than it has to be.

yup yup. Run to each outlet, and then each switch from it's nearby outlet.

bast_imret said:
this still makes no sense. Run from source, go to outlet, then to switch, then to outlet, then to switch. The switches will have a different line that runs to the light and powers it off the circuit. Turning off the switch will nto affect anything else on the circuit.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks. You lose 10 gay points.