I would like to ditch the marklar, arcade awards, etc. as well. That doesn't address how to deal with the real problems of av's slowing down the loading of threads, keeping people from abusing avs by posting offensive crap or changing other people's avs. I already know how this is going to go down. One of you fkrs will think its awesome to have an av of someone's butt crack or something, then when you're confronted about it being inappropriate, you'll whine and cry that you're being repressed and that I'm a nazi.

I can't wait till we start getting people who want pic sigs.

theacoustician said:
I would like to ditch the marklar, arcade awards, etc. as well. That doesn't address how to deal with the real problems of av's slowing down the loading of threads, keeping people from abusing avs by posting offensive crap or changing other people's avs. I already know how this is going to go down. One of you fkrs will think its awesome to have an av of someone's butt crack or something, then when you're confronted about it being inappropriate, you'll whine and cry that you're being repressed and that I'm a nazi.

I can't wait till we start getting people who want pic sigs.
the average file size of the avatars I made was 13KB - essentially it should load instantly. Animated avatars are gay and shouldn't be allowed. I offered my services of filtering through people's avatar's submissions. If they don't meet the EXACT standard size (not less than a certain size, it has to be the EXACT size, otherwise it makes everything look like shit) I will turn it down. Yes I will be a nazi about it, and yes people can get mad at me about it, but I like it when people dislike me so it works.

fuck pic sigs

elpmis said:
the average file size of the avatars I made was 13KB - essentially it should load instantly. Animated avatars are gay and shouldn't be allowed. I offered my services of filtering through people's avatar's submissions. If they don't meet the EXACT standard size (not less than a certain size, it has to be the EXACT size, otherwise it makes everything look like shit) I will turn it down. Yes I will be a nazi about it, and yes people can get mad at me about it, but I like it when people dislike me so it works.

fuck pic sigs
You're forgetting about loads going hangfire over someone using some jank ass server for a pic host.

theacoustician said:
You're forgetting about loads going hangfire over someone using some jank ass server for a pic host.
I'll talk to fly about server space possibilities this weekend while he's in town

elpmis said:
I'll talk to fly about server space possibilities this weekend while he's in town
Using this server to host them? I'm sure he'd even laugh at that one considering some of the weirdness lately. I would definately leave it up to him thought to figure out implementation.

The only way I see this as being valuable at all is if av's were rare and handed out for extreme awesomeness. You couldn't buy them or request anything specific, it would be handed out to you as recognition for doing something special. Kind of like specialized user titles in the olden days of [H]. Of course, I think that being able to change your own title or another's at any time makes titles mostly meaningless as well. I know that's a minority opinion though.

theacoustician said:
Using this server to host them? I'm sure he'd even laugh at that one considering some of the weirdness lately. I would definately leave it up to him thought to figure out implementation.

The only way I see this as being valuable at all is if av's were rare and handed out for extreme awesomeness. You couldn't buy them or request anything specific, it would be handed out to you as recognition for doing something special. Kind of like specialized user titles in the olden days of [H]. Of course, I think that being able to change your own title or another's at any time makes titles mostly meaningless as well. I know that's a minority opinion though.
I agree with you on the title thing

elpmis said:
but that's just it

guns are powerful, and guns are pointless

the DE king of kings, the gun of guns

It singularly personifies the definition of itself better than any gun

Shoot a .45-70 revolver please, and then change your post.

I haven't read this thread but would just like to say that I like my avatar.

theac: I would not abuse the avatar system, would act like an adult. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but you have my word, uh letters.

theacoustician said:
I'm still waiting to hear a better arguement for av's other than "because". Is there a forum out there that uses them and they aren't obnoxious and slow load times?

Couldn't you just turn them off in your profile? It's what I do when I am at work or just don't want to see them.

theacoustician said:

I think that's a good idea. Plus that way you're like Michael Jackson special, and people cry just to talk to you or touch the sleeve of your shirt.

Oh, and my stance is that avatars don't make a difference to me. I'll do what the majority wants. They don't impress me though, or make my posting experience any better.