Availability of European Newspapers in North America

Galen

Flaccid Member
Nov 25, 2004
Ireland
Marklar
₥0
I'm a man who still reads a daily newspaper (Few and far between these days) and as a result of this, I was wondering if any of you could confirm if it's easy to obtain a few of these papers over there.

As I'm considering a few years of study in North America, it would be important that I get most of the news from home as well, so don't worry, I will adapt. I'm still a creature of habit though. :D

Anyone able to comment on the availability of:

Financial Times
The Guardian
The Observer

I know a few of the Sunday editions of UK newspapers are made available in Canada (The price in CAD is usually printed along the top), but I have no idea about those above. Thanks in advance :D

Sarcasmo said:
When I travel I read my favorite papers on the internet. Can't find them elsewhere.
I've not ever seen the Financial Times and daily editions are kinda scarce. Cant speak for all of NA though 0_o Just stay far away from the Toronto Star, I cant stand it.

I swear I've seen those papers around before. It depends, we have a news store with papers and mag. from all over, but large stores like that are kinda rare.

But I bet you can still find them in large cities.

You could subscribe. This would be of questionable utility, however, if you don't have a fixed address. Your next best bet would be to find a store that caters to British expatriates.

SpangeMonkee said:
I thought Americans were pretty much British expatriates. :wtf:
Only the ones here since the Revolution. Less than 30% of the white population.

I think he'd get along fine with the NY Times.

Thanks djduquet & Spangemonkee, it's just like I've suspected then. I'll be in a city, so hopefully I'll be able to find a retailer locally. There's nothing that beats a newspaper in the morning, really calms the nerves.

FlamingGlory said:
I think he'd get along fine with the NY Times.
But Bill O Reilly says only 'liberals' read the NY Times? Surely their Anti-war stance has not been construed as anti-american?

Galen said:
But Bill O Reilly says only 'liberals' read the NY Times? Surely their Anti-war stance has not been construed as anti-american?
Havent you figured a more subtle way of trolling yet?

I noticed you didnt list The Telegraph or The Times :p Which we get everyday here.

FlamingGlory said:
Havent you figured a more subtle way of trolling yet?

I noticed you didnt list The Telegraph :p Which we get everyday here.
Thank you for your suggestion of the NY times, but I only read what I'm used to.

I used to read the Telegraph, but it's focus on celebrities is off putting. It's basically an oversized, paper beachtowel now. The Times follows suit

Galen said:
Thank you for your suggestion of the NY times, but I only read what I'm used to.

I used to read the Telegraph, but it's focus on celebrities is off putting. It's basically an oversized, paper beachtowel now. The Times follows suit
Only reccomended because it is a traditional broadsheet. Reads like a small novel with few pictures, even if the editorial page is skewed left.

My major complaint with all the british papers is their celebrity "articles". I walked two miles on several occaisions to find a newstand that was selling something besides tabloids. The Sunday Telegraph was the only thing I could stand to read over there.

FlamingGlory said:
Only reccomended because it is a traditional broadsheet. Reads like a small novel with few pictures, even if the editorial page is skewed left.

My major complaint with all the british papers is their celebrity "articles". I walked two miles on several occaisions to find a newstand that was selling something besides tabloids. The Sunday Telegraph was the only thing I could stand to read over there.
The Guardian/Observer are left-leaning and they do have some stupid articles, but very rarely will you find a celebrity article on its sheets. Their analysis of the news is very in-depth and they tend to report things that other newspapers won't. Not to mention the Berliner format of the paper is incredibly handy and easy to read.

The FT is economist (I believe it's referred to as "fiscal conservative" there) as well as liberatarian. It's focus is financial articles but it tends to report news stories early and covers alot of economic data. It's weekend edition comes with an excellent magazine and "Money" section.

The Telegraph has embraced the fact that besides the FT, it is the only broadsheet daily in the UK (most of the sunday papers are still broadsheet) However, instead of reporting decent articles (like it used to) it has become celebrity obsessed, obviously to still remain attractive to readers who don't really care about the news and want to read about Jordan's new boobs, in broadsheet format.

Galen said:
The 'either you're with us, or against us' speech holds true for "true Americans" as well.