Baby Autistic kids don't go through synaptic pruning

It is pretty much "we don't know."
There are some genetic and environmental causes that we know, but right now there isn't one thing alone we can point to.

In her words "there are some people born with a predisposition, a sort of lock, and they might go their whole lives without encountering the key that unlocks their autism. But the weirdest thing is that I've worked with kids that were 3 years old and talking and playing like a normal child before their particular lock was unlocked."

Edit: it damned sure isn't vaccines

There are some genetic and environmental causes that we know, but right now there isn't one thing alone we can point to.
I agree.

In her words "there are some people born with a predisposition, a sort of lock, and they might go their whole lives without encountering the key that unlocks their autism. But the weirdest thing is that I've worked with kids that were 3 years old and talking and playing like a normal child before their particular lock was unlocked."
this is teh sucky part for parents the who relive those days over and over in their mind obsessing about what could possibly have 'caused' it.

I agree.

this is teh sucky part for parents the who relive those days over and over in their mind obsessing about what could possibly have 'caused' it.
Yeah, but there are methods to treat all levels of it. Cold comfort to someone with a child that is extremely low functioning, but I have seen people trained in what she does do amazing things.

She is a little paranoid about having kids. A coworker had three children, two have mid-functioning autism (not even sure if mid-functioning is a term they use, but you get the idea.)

Is everyone supposed to know this? Cuz I sure didn't.
Any time autism comes up, it gets brought up. I was talking about her job earlier today with Dory and Domon. I don't think we specifically mentioned ASD, but it was clear she worked with special needs children.
Fairly sure you and I have spoken about it as well, although that was likely in a UF "debate" so no one remembers anything but what they want to.

Even if it hadn't percolated through, I have a fair history of posting articles on autism, or any science story that grabs my attention.

Guess I just saw it as a weird question to be asked.

Edit: it damned sure isn't vaccines
A friend of mine has a low functioning autistic kid (hes 18 now) and she's still convinced it was the vaccine. Weirdly a lot of my colleagues have very autistic kids, but maybe thats why they're good at care work.

A friend of mine has a low functioning autistic kid (hes 18 now) and she's still convinced it was the vaccine. Weirdly a lot of my colleagues have very autistic kids, but maybe thats why they're good at care work.

A neighbor of one of my friends is convinced too that it was vaccines. Now doesn't vaccinate other kids.

I have two friends I can think of with autistic kids. One has 2 very high functioning children (mainstreamed with IEPs - most likely would've been labeled as "quirky" 20 years ago) and one mid level but still has loads of issues. May or may not ever be able to live on his own. Fortunately neither of them are dumb enough to blame vaccines.

I'll have to share the article with them though many I know have always thought as the brain grows, the connections just aren't right so to speak. Both have said their kids are wired differently and you could kind of see it from birth.

Cool article though.

A neighbor of one of my friends is convinced too that it was vaccines. Now doesn't vaccinate other kids.

I have two friends I can think of with autistic kids. One has 2 very high functioning children (mainstreamed with IEPs - most likely would've been labeled as "quirky" 20 years ago) and one mid level but still has loads of issues. May or may not ever be able to live on his own. Fortunately neither of them are dumb enough to blame vaccines.

I'll have to share the article with them though many I know have always thought as the brain grows, the connections just aren't right so to speak. Both have said their kids are wired differently and you could kind of see it from birth.

Cool article though.

None of my work colleagues kids could live alone. One is in full time care and comes home at weekends, the other is managed full time at home. I think with the former one she thinks its vaccines because he was a 'normal' baby before, and right after was severely autistic.

Cool article though.

I feel bad that one with it has both parents with physical disabilities currently as well.

I feel bad that one with it has both parents with physical disabilities currently as well.
Oops - that makes 3 friends. I forgot about this family.

None of my work colleagues kids could live alone. One is in full time care and comes home at weekends, the other is managed full time at home. I think with the former one she thinks its vaccines because he was a 'normal' baby before, and right after was severely autistic.

I'm not sure that the other one Luis mentioned can live alone or not. He's back into mainstream school again. The idea is to try to teach some of these higher functioning to be on their own if possible. But not possible for some obviously.

The one neighbor of a friend says the same thing as yours. The baby was "normal" they claim. Though they don't want to admit smiles at younger ages aren't always caused by joy. Things like that they are apparently stubborn about and won't listen if anyone tells them they were seeing something else (so my friend says).

She is a little paranoid about having kids. A coworker had three children, two have mid-functioning autism (not even sure if mid-functioning is a term they use, but you get the idea.)

Dude, that sucks. I hope, if she's the one for you & you want kids, that she doesn't hold you back.

Shit happens. Even the perfect kid can have some life debilitating event that you have no control over. This isn't the norm. :\

I have spoken about my friend's son who she is always trying to label with autism. I feel that she is a helicopter mom and needs to chill the fuck down...
Anyways after going to numerous places trying to get him diagnose and failing one day she decided that all of the sudden he has Tourette's syndrome... So she drove me crazy with this for about eight months...
Again she failed at getting him diagnosed with Tourette's..
Turns out she has a learning disability and something about auditory blah blah blah...

@Mr. Asa ask ladybutt about this plz. How can a person go from Tourette's syndrome to just having a learning disability how crazy is my friend???