Australia probably doesn't have unemployment

and aussies love the irish.

that's because almost everyone in australia is irish or of irish heritage

and if they're not they'll say they are.

don't get me wrong - there's nothing worse to have abroad than an irish tourist or expat... well, i'm wrong there. the english are much worse.

that's because almost everyone in australia is irish or of irish heritage

and if they're not they'll say they are.

don't get me wrong - there's nothing worse to have abroad than an irish tourist or expat... well, i'm wrong there. the english are much worse.
i know some fine irish gentlemen who live in canada. one of them plays the mandolin like you wouldn't believe.

i know some fine irish gentlemen who live in canada. one of them plays the mandolin like you wouldn't believe.

the migrants can be alright, if they blend in. if they are first generation in that country, spawn of ex-pats. that's generally where it starts to go all wrong.

irish americans in new york are some of the most unlikable people i've ever met.

the migrants can be alright, if they blend in. if they are first generation in that country, spawn of ex-pats. that's generally where it starts to go all wrong.

irish americans in new york are some of the most unlikable people i've ever met.
oh, i see. that's different.

i know a canadian expat here who keeps his (american) kids constantly dressed in canada hats and tshirts. it depresses me.
stats, while useful, are absolutely the most dull, life sapping experience i've ever had in my life.

sucked all the f*cking essence out of me.
it's ok to not like them. they're not a joke though.

hey, that's me! :D
formerly anyway

oh, i see. that's different.

i know a canadian expat here who keeps his (american) kids constantly dressed in canada hats and tshirts. it depresses me.

Yeah, that's a bunch of shit. Either assimilate or get the fuck out. No one cares that you want to show how different and unique you are. We just want to punch the clock and go home and fuck our hands.

There are way too many variables that go into statistics that can or are skewed intentionally or unintentionally.
the only things you get to choose are the confidence level, the sample, and which method to use. the rest is collected data.

yes, you can intentionally or unintentionally get bad data by picking a bad sample, and yes you can disprove a true hypothesis by using a very low confidence level and a bad sample, but that doesn't make statistics bad. that's like saying guns are bad because they kill people. statistics is just a tool, and all tools can be used improperly.

Last edited:
the only things you get to choose are the confidence level, the sample, and which method to use. the rest is collected data.

yes, you can intentionally get bad data by picking a bad sample, and yes you can disprove a true hypothesis by using a very low confidence level, but that doesn't make statistics bad. that's like saying guns are bad because they kill people. statistics is just a tool, and all tools can be used improperly.

90% of statistics are flawed. Where is FlamingGlory when I need him???

90% of statistics are flawed. Where is FlamingGlory when I need him???
The biggest flaw is the reporting of the results of statistical analysis.

"2/3 dentists prefer colgate" says nothing.
"2/3 dentists prefer colgate 19 times out of 20. The sample of dentists was obtained by polling attendees of the 1993 ADA conference" would say a lot.
"2/3 dentists prefer colgate 15 times out of 20. The sample of dentists was obtained by polling attendees of lunch seminars funded by Colgate in 1977" would say a lot less.

four out of five dentists think the fifth one is an asshole
19 times out of 20.

which, for anyone who hasn't taken stats, means that if you selected 5 dentists at random there's a 95% chance that 4 of them would think the 5th is a dick. Sometimes, though (5% of the time) that wouldn't be true. The reason you can't be sure is that you're not asking all dentists, just a sample of them large enough to be confident that the answer you get is correct. 95% is the confidence level.

Last edited: