Halp Aussie considers business ownership

Excuses.......,

Call it what you want. I can't work like that. Plus my back can't take sitting on a uncomfortable dinning chair for too long. I just don't have the setup for it, so I'm going to wait until I do have the setup to do pursue this. I'll just drive myself insane if I attempt it like this. Stressful life, and shitty setup is just asking for misery if I attempt it now. I can't expect myself to do good work in my current situation either. I can't start off over charging people because I can't get work done quickly. That'll just tank the business from the get go.

I have an ADHD son running around every night wanting my attention all the time. I'm living in my parents house. And my current job is fucking retarded. All this has already gotten me stressed. I don't deal with with stress after putting up with bullshit for many many years.

Call it what you want, but I feel that I have a better grasp on things in my life than anyone else.

Maybe it's just me but I actually see why someone wouldn't jump doing this now. It's one thing to quit your job when you have your own place, a partner/spouse that works as well and then no family to take care of. We did that (under all those circumstances) and it was fine. If Luis was entertaining the idea of doing something like this without much of a backup, I'd smack some sense into him. Sometimes timing is everything and you can't simply just dive in without preparations.

I realize there are some who are trying to encourage but in general people need to acknowledge when something is just too irresponsible to do at that time. Not a bad plan here, but sometimes excuses are valid at least for a while.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I do want to have a full time day job along with the business at first. If things take off then I'll give up the day job.

Remember I have no home office at the moment. I have to do everything on the dinning table with people doing stuff around me. Very shitty setup.
I know you don't like reading books, but this is one where you can pick and choose the chapters you are interested in reading. It's what helped me and @fly make the jump and it has excellent ideas for getting out on your own (and some hokey so use your judgment).

http://www.amazon.com/The-4-Hour-Workweek-Anywhere-Expanded/dp/0307465357

I might be able to find a copy you can "borrow" if you are interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call it what you want. I can't work like that. Plus my back can't take sitting on a uncomfortable dinning chair for too long. I just don't have the setup for it, so I'm going to wait until I do have the setup to do pursue this. I'll just drive myself insane if I attempt it like this. Stressful life, and shitty setup is just asking for misery if I attempt it now. I can't expect myself to do good work in my current situation either. I can't start off over charging people because I can't get work done quickly. That'll just tank the business from the get go.

I have an ADHD son running around every night wanting my attention all the time. I'm living in my parents house. And my current job is fucking retarded. All this has already gotten me stressed. I don't deal with with stress after putting up with bullshit for many many years.

Call it what you want, but I feel that I have a better grasp on things in my life than anyone else.
It's only a few months & they will be gone. They asked us to stay for a reason, and that is to spend time with us & more importantly, the child.

This time, until they go, maybe do some research here & there and focus on learning how to relax, because no way are you gonna be good with a new business when you're so stressed the fck out & have no idea what to do with yourself.
Take time to just get well, I mean.

It's only a few months & they will be gone. They asked us to stay for a reason, and that is to spend time with us & more importantly, the child.

This time, until they go, maybe do some research here & there and focus on learning how to relax, because no way are you gonna be good with a new business when you're so stressed the fck out & have no idea what to do with yourself.
Take time to just get well, I mean.

Exactly. Just chill for now. Who knows, later when my ducking are aligned I might do well having my hands full with the things I like doing.

Exactly. Just chill for now. Who knows, later when my ducking are aligned I might do well having my hands full with the things I like doing.

for me, 'when my ducks are aligned' I don't have a need to change. It's all working. If the plan is to get your ducks aligned so things are stable, why change after they're stable?

When I opened the biz, the goal was to have several people working for me so I didn't have to. Biz was easy, & grew fast, but when I was 'aligned' to hire people, money was flowing in already & all I could think was, let's reallign to no employees so I don't have to babysit/manage/worry about them and I can totally enjoy the schedule flexibility I currently have and spend huge amounts of time with my daughter/family. Looking back, I could have easily done it, but didn't specifically because I didn't want to change the ducks I aligned.

you will realign your ducks. we all do.

dude, I'll send you my Who Moved the Cheese, or buy you a copy.

to me, this is a hugely telling post:

Give me some no cost hobby ideas that I can do with my son all year round.

the 'no cost' part. It seems like instead of immersing yourself in 'everything I have is enough' and really enjoying it, you look at it as inadequate. It's not. No kid will look back (you included) and say, 'if they only had more money to spend on me. . . ' Forever, you (and your kid) should be able to say, 'well, we didn't have everything, but this is what we did have a blast doing.' I made go carts out of junk and had a blast. and that was the 1 in 100 projects that I actually got near complete.

Get away from putting conditions on it that restrain you. They're like bricks separating you from the goal. The bricks have to be moved twice before you get to your goal. The first time is when you put it in front of you, the second time is when you realize you have to move it out of your way. Or, you just don't put it there in the first place.

**** years ago I dated a chick who's dad worked out of the house. Great guy. the office was in his bedroom of a two bedroom condo and was a flat pine door over two 2-drawer filing cabinets. He and his wife were tickled pink about their life and exactly where it was and where it was going. Their condo was the building penthouse and that he didn't have an ideal office setup didn't prevent him, or her from supporting it. I had no idea this chick came from money until we dated a couple times 'let's meet at. . . ' and she said that she wanted me to meet her parents.

On the flip side, I've dated wimmens who came from really poor families but they loved each other and were absolutely happy with what they had. It was great going to their house for dinner to sit down in their little home and just have great food with them & watch a movie on an old VCR and an older TV. They did the most with what they had.

Business owners do the most with what they have.

in before 'you don't know me, but I know your agenda. . . ' <----------------- brick!

:)

Last edited:
Productive. You of all people shouldn't talk. You are consistently trying to pick fights me.
I'm here to help!

Just be careful before you take the leap. There's a ton of young kids out there, fluent in drupal and wordpress, who already think they've got this market nailed to the fucking wall, who will work for less and for longer than you will. It's cutthroat. I do it on the side (yes, I'm incorporated as an LLC), and I only have work because I've got a niche (a friend who does general IT consulting with a focus on Dentistry, who refers all his customers needing web/branding/SEO to me) with the dentists in town.

I can understand wanting a comfortable chair.

The rest is excuses, even if you choose not to call them as such.

Use a table that faces a wall or window? Then people won't walk in front of you.

Use a public space. I've accomplished tons of work in a study carrel at the library. You can install a webserver on your PC and host your pages locally while you build them. You can literally work anywhere there's power.

Worry about starting your business before you worry about overcharging clients.

Your kid goes to bed.

A house is a house. At least you have one.

My day job sucks balls also, I'm not crying about it. Suck it up.

Learn to deal with your stress. I recommend meditation or emotional "tapping." Tapping uses acupressure points and is ridiculously effective and easier to learn than meditation. You can do it anywhere and melt stress away in under 5 mins. I've successfully done it in gridlock traffic.

If you redirected all your "I can't because" energy and actually took small steps towards your goal you'd be succeeding already. You're wasting all your energy in pissing contests with internet tards and spouting demotivational drivel. In the process you're falling victim to your own "invisible scripts" and letting them run your life. Take a few steps back and ask yourself why you feel you can't overcome these things. Be brutally honest with yourself, if you don't you're only wasting more time.

If you had a better grasp on things than anyone else you'd be doing your own thing already, not whining to people who are already doing their own thing because they have a better grasp on life than you.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
for me, 'when my ducks are aligned' I don't have a need to change. It's all working. If the plan is to get your ducks aligned so things are stable, why change after they're stable?

When I opened the biz, the goal was to have several people working for me so I didn't have to. Biz was easy, & grew fast, but when I was 'aligned' to hire people, money was flowing in already & all I could think was, let's reallign to no employees so I don't have to babysit/manage/worry about them and I can totally enjoy the schedule flexibility I currently have and spend huge amounts of time with my daughter/family. Looking back, I could have easily done it, but didn't specifically because I didn't want to change the ducks I aligned.

you will realign your ducks. we all do.

dude, I'll send you my Who Moved the Cheese, or buy you a copy.

to me, this is a hugely telling post:

the 'no cost' part. It seems like instead of immersing yourself in 'everything I have is enough' and really enjoying it, you look at it as inadequate. It's not. No kid will look back (you included) and say, 'if they only had more money to spend on me. . . ' Forever, you (and your kid) should be able to say, 'well, we didn't have everything, but this is what we did have a blast doing.' I made go carts out of junk and had a blast. and that was the 1 in 100 projects that I actually got near complete.

Get away from putting conditions on it that restrain you. They're like bricks separating you from the goal. The bricks have to be moved twice before you get to your goal. The first time is when you put it in front of you, the second time is when you realize you have to move it out of your way. Or, you just don't put it there in the first place.

**** years ago I dated a chick who's dad worked out of the house. Great guy. the office was in his bedroom of a two bedroom condo and was a flat pine door over two 2-drawer filing cabinets. He and his wife were tickled pink about their life and exactly where it was and where it was going. Their condo was the building penthouse and that he didn't have an ideal office setup didn't prevent him, or her from supporting it. I had no idea this chick came from money until we dated a couple times 'let's meet at. . . ' and she said that she wanted me to meet her parents.

On the flip side, I've dated wimmens who came from really poor families but they loved each other and were absolutely happy with what they had. It was great going to their house for dinner to sit down in their little home and just have great food with them & watch a movie on an old VCR and an older TV. They did the most with what they had.

Business owners do the most with what they have.

in before 'you don't know me, but I know your agenda. . . ' <----------------- brick!

:)

I read Who Moved My Cheese back in my appraisal days. Excellent little book.

Maybe it's just me but I actually see why someone wouldn't jump doing this now. It's one thing to quit your job when you have your own place, a partner/spouse that works as well and then no family to take care of. We did that (under all those circumstances) and it was fine. If Luis was entertaining the idea of doing something like this without much of a backup, I'd smack some sense into him. Sometimes timing is everything and you can't simply just dive in without preparations.

I realize there are some who are trying to encourage but in general people need to acknowledge when something is just too irresponsible to do at that time. Not a bad plan here, but sometimes excuses are valid at least for a while.

They're living with his parents right now. Of course we don't know the whole situation, as we've heard ad nauseum, but that sounds like the perfect time to try something new. Parents make for a great backup plan.

They're living with his parents right now. Of course we don't know the whole situation, as we've heard ad nauseum, but that sounds like the perfect time to try something new. Parents make for a great backup plan.

I was thinking the exact same thing... Was gonna post but we all know how shitty the threads turn and the subject at hand isn't really kind to accepting advice/info/suggestions/ideas/thoughts etc. so I've just kinda been reading...
But
I agree with you flytrap! Why wait to have more added on responsibilities/commitments (car/house) to start a new venture. This is the time! when a back up plan such as living with parents is sooooo readily available this is the time to take risks and dabble.
Having all that other extra responsibility makes it harder and riskier as those things depend and rely on stability.
New country
New life
New adventure
New career focus
This is the time to just jump in.

I've always taken huge risks in my life, I can't live on the sideline waiting... Sure sometimes it hasn't worked out.. But for the most part, the risks have been worth it.
Also.. A positive mind heart and soul go a lonnnnng way.
Being negative and putting up road block after roadblock will get you nowhere in a hurry.

/my2canadiancents

Eh maybe I'm an adult about this but living with my parents long term? No fucking way in hell!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do everything in my power to get the fuck out of there which is exactly the wrong time to start something that may or may not make money.

Not everyone has loads of money saved up or access to it.

Not everyone also wants the stress of wondering when the money comes in.

They talk of needing a car and getting a house. Do that first. Have Juli able to finally get a job there. Get really settled THEN leap.

Don't be a douche and mooch off parents.

JMO.

Eh maybe I'm an adult about this but living with my parents long term? No fucking way in hell!!!!!!!!!!

I'd do everything in my power to get the fuck out of there which is exactly the wrong time to start something that may or may not make money.

Not everyone has loads of money saved up or access to it.

Not everyone also wants the stress of wondering when the money comes in.

They talk of needing a car and getting a house. Do that first. Have Juli able to finally get a job there. Get really settled THEN leap.

Don't be a douche and mooch off parents.

JMO.

im not sure you are an adult. Thats the attitude of a rebellious 21 year old.

They just moved literally to the other side of the world. Its extenuating circumstances