atlanta people, come see my band! 10/6

614451d8bd5bd7e2.jpg

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!@!

I can't decide now if the complete and utter lack of comprehension of what I said is now funny or sad.

And completely irrelevant. Everything falls under the "because I said so" umbrella. That's what belief and opinion are. There's no scientific, indisputable fact behind telling someone to shut the fuck up and have some respect. So what was the point of saying that, really? And tell me how it's working out for YOU while you're at it, since you're in that equation too. Or do you not subscribe to a single belief, ever?

If kids aren't sacred then nothing really is if you think about it. You can love the environment or animals or whatever the fuck it is you're into all you want, but without children we have no species and all this stuff around us is irrelevant. What should garner more respect than the perpetuity of our race? Protecting our offspring at all costs is the most basic animal instinct we know of. It's a bit more profound than "because I say so".

Hey if it's soapbox time again I'd like to disagree with you here. I wouldn't say everything else is irrelevant without our offspring in the picture. Humans do far more bad than good to this world, and to eachother. Tho I carry a great respect for all living things, I think the world would be better off without the human race.

Suddenly the world won't be good enough after your kid is born. You'll see. You'll be stricken by a realization of what innocence and perfection are, and this kind of thing will disgust you too. :heart:
:lol: What is it about parents seeing their children as innocent and perfect. They're mini versions of you, are you innocent and perfect? Besides that they are literally hardwired for survival, the ultimate egomanics. If you really wanna talk about innocent, talk about animals.

8071845.jpg

Last edited:
And completely irrelevant. Everything falls under the "because I said so" umbrella. That's what belief and opinion are. There's no scientific, indisputable fact behind telling someone to shut the fuck up and have some respect. So what was the point of saying that, really? And tell me how it's working out for YOU while you're at it, since you're in that equation too. Or do you not subscribe to a single belief, ever?

Note in the below the term you is used in the second person plural as in "you all". This isn't personal, more of a general announcement

I'm saying until you are willing to treat everyone else's personal beliefs with reverence equal to that which you're requesting, don't expect reciprocity. In little words : you get what you give. For what you're proposing, that doesn't just mean "I won't post _______ because it crosses _________'s line and it'll piss them off". It means you come to that person's defense if you see anyone else traipsing on their "sacred ground" as you would protect your own. It would mean treating each other as you would treat your real friends and family. What's the term that describes that ... oh yeah, mutual respect; something that is deficient in this forum.

This is the Internet and people just don't seem interested in behaving that way. You've been around long enough, you should know this. I'm not saying its right or even that's how it should be, but that's how it is and how its been for a while. To expect that to change just because you publish some deep insight into our "most basic animal instincts" is absurd.

If you want it to change, you're going to have to start by changing yourself. Then work towards influencing others to follow in stead. Don't buckle when rebuffed or become slack in your implementation. Only then will you get what you're asking for.

i don't see what's wrong in telling people that there is this personal line, and to ask people not to cross it. i think sarcasmo stated very clearly this, and did no more. there's nothing wrong in telling someone respectfully yet boldly they don't approve of a personal attack.
i know i try not to step on anyone's toes here, but if i have, and i'm sure i have before, it was certainly unintended. until someone bluntly states that they are not happy with a situation, implied sayings and "stop its" might not tell someone they are crossing a line.

you cannot assume someone is going to stop whatever they are doing, but you can certainly make it known that you don' tlike it. hopefully MOST people here would respect each other enough to want to stop.

It would mean treating each other as you would treat your real friends and family. What's the term that describes that ... oh yeah, mutual respect; something that is deficient in this forum.

All that you said is essentially true, however I think it's an unrealistic ideal. Most people don't even uphold a mutual respect for their real friends and family. I'm sure everyone has looked the other way while someone traipsed on the "sacred ground" of their irl loved ones. Hell, I can think of several situations when someone has treated people like shit and yet other people remained friends with them "because they've never done anything to me".

i don't see what's wrong in telling people that there is this personal line, and to ask people not to cross it. i think sarcasmo stated very clearly this, and did no more. there's nothing wrong in telling someone respectfully yet boldly they don't approve of a personal attack.
i know i try not to step on anyone's toes here, but if i have, and i'm sure i have before, it was certainly unintended. until someone bluntly states that they are not happy with a situation, implied sayings and "stop its" might not tell someone they are crossing a line.

you cannot assume someone is going to stop whatever they are doing, but you can certainly make it known that you don' tlike it. hopefully MOST people here would respect each other enough to want to stop.

QFT! We're all very different people with different boundries, and none of us are mind readers (I hope). Sometimes you have to spell things out for people to know where your boundries are. And as long as we can all still laugh about Sarcasmo's kid peeing on him everything will be okay.

Mom, with the voice of reason.

Hey if it's soapbox time again I'd like to disagree with you here. I wouldn't say everything else is irrelevant without our offspring in the picture. Humans do far more bad than good to this world, and to eachother. Tho I carry a great respect for all living things, I think the world would be better off without the human race.

:lol: What is it about parents seeing their children as innocent and perfect. They're mini versions of you, are you innocent and perfect? Besides that they are literally hardwired for survival, the ultimate egomanics. If you really wanna talk about innocent, talk about animals.

i completely beg to differ here. i wouldn't say everything else is irrelevant without offspring either, but like it or not, offspring happens, and it happens for some reason or another. it's not going to change.
and i don't think humans necessarily do more bad than good to each other...i think it's definitely more "interesting" when bad happens, which is why we hear it so much more than the good. good is boring. who wants to hear how the man at the post office turned on his heel to go BACK to open the door for me and my full arms? who cares that just today, the car who had a green light stopped to let me in the line? no one's impressed by that, sadly...but it happens. good things happen every single day, and many of them. we just don't hear or remember or register them. :(

and children start out with completely clean slates. they are born into this world wet clay. they are not mini-versions of their parents. they are unique individuals who happen to need strict guidance. i do not OWN my child, or the CORE of my child, anyway. i am the guardian of this child until she is old enough to fend for herself, just like animals. yes, imperfections happen, they are human, too, but the parents who do work hard on their children really strive to make the best decisions and guide their children slowly into the world. and yes, there are a lot of stupid, lazy parents out there who don't have a CLUE how to effectively raise and manage children, and there again, they are the ones always getting the attention, but there are millions of people doing the best jobs they can with their children, and that should not be thrown to the wayside to focus on the negative. that's all people want to seem to do these days..people do bad, people are bad. that's simply not all there is to the world.

sure, people are wired for survival, but so are animals and trees and any other living thing. it's all about survival and reproduction...i don't care what species you are talking about. it is a shame that survival of the fittest isn't in play like it used to be for humans, what with modern medicine and laws and such, but i'd like to hold a little hope for the human race. we are still young, and still learning, and still naive creatures, but i'd like to think that a solid portion of this race have strong hearts and spirits. and maybe, just maybe, those good, strong souls can help the other souls that aren't as fortunate to be good.
good almost always overrides bad in any comic book or movie. i'd like to think that with a little work, that could be true in the real world, too.

If kids aren't sacred then nothing really is if you think about it. You can love the environment or animals or whatever the fuck it is you're into all you want, but without children we have no species and all this stuff around us is irrelevant. What should garner more respect than the perpetuity of our race? Protecting our offspring at all costs is the most basic animal instinct we know of. It's a bit more profound than "because I say so".

People try to be so cutting-edge rebellious and not hold anything sacred, and brag about being that way, but if you break it down it's doubtful any of them are truly like that so why bother joking about it in the first place?

Anyway, before I make a bronze mold of my soapbox because of a tasteless joke, just don't ever talk about kids like that in front of me if I do attend any social functions and everything'll be peachy. It just happens to be the one thing that'll make me knock a person out. Do what you want, but leave kids the fuck out of it. :iono:

I know Ape was just being a douche. I'm just saying.

I am a big douche. I'll admit. I probably should douche.

I guess this is a bad time to bring up dead baby jokes then.....

*backs out of thread slowly*

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAA :heart:

Edit: There is a lot of panty wadding going on in here. This forum is about fun and good fellowship, not whining because you get picked on.

i think a few here just find that sexual jokes about small children, especially members' own kids, are really tasteless and creepy, honestly. there's so much of that in the world and it's very sick, and i don't know how there's anything funny about it.
now, because it needs to be said, THIS IS MY OPINION and i know it might not change the actions of others, but i can make my views known, too.
at the very least, it makes some uncomfortable, and what's funny about that, so what's the point in continuing?
besides, in sarcasmo's case especially, there's SOOOO much more to pick on and make fun of. :fly: :heart:

Suddenly the world won't be good enough after your kid is born. You'll see. You'll be stricken by a realization of what innocence and perfection are, and this kind of thing will disgust you too. :heart:
I find it odd where you choose to draw the line. Just the other day in the hockey forum we both visit you were joking about abortion. Here's what you said:
Sarcasmo said:
I'd respond to this thread, but I'm about to slide a coat hanger up into my girlfriend.
So you can joke about taking the life of what would someday be a child? I don't get it. If somebody in that forum had said "Dude, that crosses a line with me", you would've told them to lighten up. Or at least that's what I'd think you'd say given what I know about you.

I find it odd where you choose to draw the line. Just the other day in the hockey forum we both visit you were joking about abortion. Here's what you said:

So you can joke about taking the life of what would someday be a child? I don't get it. If somebody in that forum had said "Dude, that crosses a line with me", you would've told them to lighten up. Or at least that's what I'd think you'd say given what I know about you.

i'm not about to speak for sarcasmo, but *I* see it like this:

the difference there is that one is real and specific, with a name and a face, and one is implied, imagined, and not specific. like the dead baby jokes, i don't personally find them funny at all, and i find them slightly uncomfortable because i love babies so much, but it's not referring to one specific baby. it's an imagined thing, if you will.
i do understand what you're saying, and i agree that it's hard to tell who's lines are what and when, but i think the point here is that once someone says, i don't like that, it's personal, please stop, then the ball's in their court. they can choose to respect that or not, but a wish and discomfort has been made known.
i think it's impossible to know what's going to offend whom, and so you can only assume that if you've crossed a line, someone would tell you. in this case, i don't think sarcasmo was out of line at all because he was uncomfortable with something personal.

I don't think he was out of line by any means. It just seems odd given his sense of humor on everything else.

I guess I just don't have anything that I would care enough to actually say "stop joking about that." I'd instead just ignore the joke and not respond. If other people think it's funny, let them joke. I don't need to tell them not to joke about it. I'm able to read and ignore them.