Ask your food questions here!

JJ Lady said:
Works been crazy. Imagine..they actually want me to work while I'm here. Glad you are around to answer questions and make suggestions when I am not. I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one. :heart:

Yeah, they kinda want me to do that work stuff too :( But, I'm always able to keep a browser open and check up on this thread.

BigDov said:
Yeah, they kinda want me to do that work stuff too :( But, I'm always able to keep a browser open and check up on this thread.

I'd probably get my internet access taken away if they found out I was doing this at work. But oh well. I get my work done and that is what is important in my book! But this should probably stay on topic.

Anyone have some good recipies for Thanksgiving sides? I posted my Carrot Souffle.

thrawn said:
what shall i marinate the fishy with

If you want some awesome fish cook it with some of this stuff....
http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1|15|0||||||potlach&gids=sku6409023&cmsrc=sch

fishy.jpg

Best fish I've ever had!!!

JJ Lady said:
Works been crazy. Imagine..they actually want me to work while I'm here. Glad you are around to answer questions and make suggestions when I am not. I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one. :heart:

How can you answer cooking questions? Don't you actually have to cook?? :D

Wait, that Pocky recepie did sound a lot like your cooking style.....

:fly:

Anyone have any good recipes for Sweet Potatoes?

I like to slice them thin, mix them with butter, brown sugar and pecan. Bake until soft then top with mini marshmellows and pecans in star shapes and then pop that under the broiler. Yummy!

JJ Lady said:
Anyone have any good recipes for Sweet Potatoes?

I like to slice them thin, mix them with butter, brown sugar and pecan. Bake until soft then top with mini marshmellows and pecans in star shapes and then pop that under the broiler. Yummy!

Rather than slicing them up like that, kinda mash them together with the brown sugar and a little butter, make them into ball, put them in a semi deep rectangular cooking pan, cover with more butter and brown sugar, the marshmallows and the nuts, then give it a go in the broiler. A little easier for serving...... outside of that, pretty much the same.

i need some ideas for side dishes to go with a yummy spiral ham
so far i've got butternut squash risotto and i have dessert down (gateau de crepes ala normande, i have time to make it), and homemade rosemary baguettes, but i need a good veggie to go with the ham, and possibly something else. any suggestions?

F33nX said:
so far i've got butternut squash risotto and i have dessert down (gateau de crepes ala normande, i have time to make it), and homemade rosemary baguettes, but i need a good veggie to go with the ham, and possibly something else. any suggestions?

Hey F33nX- long time no see :heart:

So, it looks like you're kinda going all out with your dinner and dessert, so I don't know if my suggestion is going to work or not. Go simple with the veggie- baby red potatoes always go nice with ham (I think), or some nice green beans or something. You've already got a couple "wow" dishes going there, make the last one simple.

Just my opinion.

F33nX said:

Recipe? Squash?

BigDov said:

So, it looks like you're kinda going all out with your dinner and dessert, so I don't know if my suggestion is going to work or not. Go simple with the veggie- baby red potatoes always go nice with ham (I think), or some nice green beans or something. You've already got a couple "wow" dishes going there, make the last one simple.

Just my opinion.
green bean cassarole? Oh or the carrot souffle that I posted a few pages back.

this isnt THAT accurate of a recipy, i just kind of wing it each time i make it. make it and you'll start to figure out ways you like it. its EXTREMELY good. trust me.

Lemon Chicken Over Pasta

Chicken (about 4 breasts, but equivalent of tenders work great too)
Flour (a cup or two
Egg (one)
2 Lemons (fresh is best)
Pasta (spaghetti ideally, but any pasta will do)
Butter (stick or two)

Pound the Chicken with a mallet until its about 1/4th of an inch thick or so, then cut into smaller pieces (not tiny, but not huge, use your own judgement). cook the pasta of your own accord, i dont think i have to tell you how to do that. you want to be pulling the pasta out just as the last of your chicken finishes cooking, so time as best you can. melt half a stick of butter into a skillet. set up two dishes, one with flour and in the other, crack the egg and whip the contents with a little water. dip each piece of chicken in the flour to coat, then dip in the egg. place each piece of chicken in the skillet and fry it up. after you fill the skillet, squeeze half of a lemon into the skillet. flip the chicken pieces after a while to cook both sides. apply more butter and another half of a lemons juice as needed, until all the chicken is cooked. after you remove the chicken, melt another half stick of butter in whatever is left in the skillet, then add in another half of a lemons juice. stir it all around with a wooden spoon, unsticking all the little brown bits. put the chicken over the pasta, and pour on this newly made sauce. enjoy with a salad.

PinkysAvenger said:
this isnt THAT accurate of a recipy, i just kind of wing it each time i make it. make it and you'll start to figure out ways you like it. its EXTREMELY good. trust me. .

Sounds a lot like how I cook!

PinkysAvenger said:
Lemon Chicken Over Pasta

Sound great! Thats for contributing! :heart:

I have a pie crust recipe that is damned near goof-proof, here it is. A friend of mine had been trying for over 20 years to make a good pie crust, but couldn't seem to do it. I actually ate (well, tried to eat) her pie crust, trust me, it was bad. I gave her this recipe, which had been passed down to me from another friend. She hasn't had a real failure with this recipe yet :cool:

Idiot-Proof Pie Crust

4 c flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 c vegetable shortening-not animal fat or lard
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c cold water
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Mix flour, sugar & salt. Add shortening with pastry blender and mix well. Add egg, vinegar & water. Mix until well blended (with fork, then hands). Place in refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep 2 weeks in refrigerator. Yields 4 - 9" pie shells. You can also make them all at once and freeze what you're not using.

BigDov said:

Just my opinion.
hey cutie :heart:

i like the idea of those potatoes! i was thinking maybe a simple smashed potato recipe with the reds, or yukon golds, and maybe i'll make some green beans almondine too. thanks hon!

JJ Lady said:
Recipe? Squash?
it works with any kind of squash except for summer or zucchini.

1 butternut squash about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
5 to 6 cups chicken stock (or canned, fat-free)
1 piece of bacon, chopped finely
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cups dry white wine
Salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup thinly sliced asiago cheese

the directions are pretty easy. peel and chunk up the squash, and boil until tender. when cool enough to work with, mash or puree, depending on what texture you want the final dish to be. combine the wine and stock and work to a simmer in a pot next to your rice pan. sautee the rice in the olive oil with the garlic, salt, and pepper until translucent, and then add 1 cup of your stock mix and the pureed squash. stir until liquid is almost absorbed. keep adding the stock 1/2 to 1 cup at a time, until the rice won't absorb any more liquid, and has a creamy texture. garnish with the bacon and rosemary (which can be left out it you think it's too much), and when plating, place the slivers of asiago over the top of the rice

:drool:

dessert's gonna be even better if i have time/energy to pull it off:drool: