Ask your food questions here!

JJ Lady

Flaccid Member
Oct 26, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥0
Go ahead...ask away and we will all do our best to answer.

Also if you have any wonderful recipes that you would like to post do so here!

"Allez Cuisine!!" :)

Oh and please try to keep this on topic! :heart:

Last edited:
Long version

Chicken Dumpling Soup
1 3 to 3 1/2 lb. chicken
1 onion cut in half
2 celery ribs cut in 3 inch pieces
2 carrots cut in 3 inch pieces

Put the chicken in a 5-6 qt. pan and cover with water. Add vegetables. Cook about 30 minutes over medium heat until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pot and cool chicken. When chicken can be handled take the meat from the bones and add bones back to pot and cook 1/2 hour more over medium heat.

Prepare:
2 celery ribs diced
3 carrots diced
1 C. chopped onion
Strain stock and return to pan. Add 2 cups of water, chicken and prepared vegetables. Cook another 20-25 minutes until vegetables are cooked. Mix up dumplings.

Dumplings:
2 C. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 eggs
2 T. sour cream
2 T. butter
Add butter, eggs, sour cream and salt. Mix well. Add flour and baking soda. If needed add milk to make dough the consistency of mashed potatoes. Do not overmix or dumplings will be tough.

When vegetables are cooked in broth, bring to a boil and add dumplings. Use a teaspoon, they should be quite small. Add all the dumpling mix and cook another 15 minutes.

Thicken soup with a roux:
4 T. flour
6 T. water
Cook 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

JJ Lady said:
Long version

Thicken soup with a roux:
4 T. flour
6 T. water
Cook 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Be careful with that roux. They burn easily.

Short Version:

And this one is actually my own

1 Can on chicken stock
1 can of cream of muchroom soup
1 half onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 clove of garlic (if desired)
Bisquick dumplings
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a medium sauce pot saute onion, carrots, & celery with a little olive oil. when softened add the chicken stock and cream of mushroom soup. bring to slight boil. Prepare dumplings per bisquick directions (you can flavor to taste with salt, pepper and a little sour cream if desired). Drop by teaspoon full into soup mixture and cook per Bisquick directions.

This will make a more bread like dumpling. If you prefer the noodley (yes I consdier that a word) dumpling, you can buy frozen ones in most supermarkets.

Desslock said:
Be careful with that roux. They burn easily.
Yes, you can use a slurry too of either flour and water or cornstarch and water. But be sure you cook it long enough after you add it or else everything will taste like raw flour.

BigDov's version of lazy man's chili (con carne for you Texan snobs lol)

4 to 5 lbs of whatever type of meat you like; I usually choose beef
1 large white onion diced
1 head of garlic
as many peppers as you like depending on personal preference

Here's the lazy parts:
14 to 16 cans of beans- the bigger the variety the better. I've made chili lots of times, and I just got tired of waiting for beans to boil, be done, whatever. Canned is way easier. Just make sure to wash and rinse at least twice.
1 small can of tomato paste
6 or 7 good-sized tomato's or 5 cans of tomato sauce.

Dice the beef and start to simmer it.
Next comes the onions, garlic and peppers.
Let all of those ingredients cook together for a while.
EDIT- about 3 to 4 tablespoons of cumin is good too.

Start adding everything else........

Since the beans are already cooked, you can eat this when it's hot, or you can cook it for a few hours. Either way, it's easy and yummy.

Yay!!! :D

This isn't a question, but I have GOT to get this in. I didn't think I had the recipe here, but I do. It's quick, easy, and my kids love it.

2 cups sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups quick oatmeal

Combine first 5 ingredients and boil for 1 minute or so. The longer you boil this the faster the cookies will set up, and the harder they will be. Remove from stove and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla, then the oatmeal. I throw in a handful or so of chocolate chips, I don’t measure, just toss them in. Drop on waxed paper by teaspoon, but you have to work FAST or it will get hard in the pan. Let them set for a few minutes, until they are firm enough to pick up and eat.

If you have kids around you’ll be lucky if there are any left for the next day. I use chunky peanut butter. You can also make them without the cocoa if you want peanut butter no-bakes.

Here's another quick and easy one (shared this with Pandora) for cobbler

Decide on your fruit, and if it's fresh I'll get to that in a minute. Canned in this instance is easier and lazier, and that's kinda the point on this one.

2 white cake mixes
2 10 or 12oz cans of ****** if there's tons of juice, drain one can.
1 cube of butter

Put the fruit in a deep, rectangular cooking pan, kinda like a lasagna pan
Put the white cake mixes on top of that- don't worry about clumps or anything, just put it on.
Melt the butter and pour it on the cake mix- this is going to brown the crust.

There ya go- put it in the oven and cook for about 35-45 minutes at 350. Watch the crust and basically however brown you do or don't want it, that's when it's done. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes before you eat it.

FRESH FRUIT version.

I used this with blackberries this summer, and it took at least 5 or 6 cups of berries- with the fresh fruit, you're going to get a lot of juice depending on what you use, so best put your pan on a cookie sheet to catch all the goop. That's pretty much the only difference. Also depending on the depth of the pan, you could use more or less than 5-6 cups of whatever, but that seemed to work pretty good.

Last edited:
BigDov said:
Here's another quick and easy one (shared this with Pandora) for cobbler
---

My type of recipe, quick, easy, and good! :D Wish I had more time to cook, then the *quick* component wouldn't be as important.

I'll have to look for my recipe for Death by Chocolate cake when I get home.

dreamwalker said:
My type of recipe, quick, easy, and good! :D Wish I had more time to cook, then the *quick* component wouldn't be as important.

I'll have to look for my recipe for Death by Chocolate cake when I get home.

It's only about an hour from ingredient to finished product...... your kids could make it :)

Chocolate :drool:

BigDov said:
It's only about an hour from ingredient to finished product...... your kids could make it :)

Chocolate :drool:

My 9 y/o son would like that. He made deviled eggs recently, with the only help needed being with hard cooking the eggs to start with. He cut the eggs, mixed the ingredients, and fixed them pretty much by himself. He drew the line at sprinkling paprika over them like a lot of people seem to do, because he doesn't much like paprika. I couldn't blame him for that :fly: