Ask your food questions here!

im not a big fan of squash, but mashed potatoes are really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, since many of you will be eating turkeys tomorrow and I am cooking one this evening for dinners, tell me how you prepare your bird. Do anything special?

I definitely one of those plastic oven bags. I slice the turkey all over and slip orgasmic pieces of garlic into the newly created vaginal openings. I cover it in olive oil and kosher salt. Grrrrrrrr, so hungry.

What about stuffing? I boil the neck, gizzard and various other innerds, pour that over the bread crumbs, usually add a box of stouffers just because, numerous seasonings and hot sauce if I will be the only one eating it.

Bake the stuffing inside the bird of course.

What about sides? I have to have mashed potatos, corn, whole canned tomatoes from the garden, garlic(yes, I eat pieces of garlic with dinner), hot peppers,* canned carrots from the garden and those dinner rolls:drool:

*Actually, Gramma cans various hot peppers, garlic, cauliflower, baby onions, carrots and a few other vegetables we've grown over the summer all in the same mason jar. And it gets pulled out with dinner everynight. Soo good.

So anyways, tell me how to prepare a turkey and dressing. I am going to be throwing one in the oven in a couple hours. I'd love to try something new.

Your pretty close...although poking all those holes in your bird could make it dry. I give mine a rub down with some butter all over, then salt pepper and what ever other spices I feel like cooking. Today there really is not as high of a risk of getting sick from Turkey as there used to be (but always be sure to cook it long enough anyway) so I cook my stuffing inside the bird. Some people think this is how you get sick , but I have down it that way all my life and never had anything wrong. Just make sure you stuff right before you put it in the oven. DO NOT stuff the night before or even an hour before. As for my stuffing of choice...don't laugh but I'm a Stove Top girl. I love it and when the juices of the turkey get mingled in...mmmm. :heart: I cook mine in an oven bag and follow the directions that come with. Oven bags are awesome. I have never had a dry turkey cooking with one.

If you have enough time before hand you can ask theAC about brining. I haven't tried it but I heard its good. If you are looking for an awesome side dish look earlier in this thread where I give the recipe for carrot souffle...its like candy :drool:

JJ Lady said:
Your pretty close...although poking all those holes in your bird could make it dry. I give mine a rub down with some butter all over, then salt pepper and what ever other spices I feel like cooking. Today there really is not as high of a risk of getting sick from Turkey as there used to be (but always be sure to cook it long enough anyway) so I cook my stuffing inside the bird. Some people think this is how you get sick , but I have down it that way all my life and never had anything wrong. Just make sure you stuff right before you put it in the oven. DO NOT stuff the night before or even an hour before. As for my stuffing of choice...don't laugh but I'm a Stove Top girl. I love it and when the juices of the turkey get mingled in...mmmm. :heart: I cook mine in an oven bag and follow the directions that come with. Oven bags are awesome. I have never had a dry turkey cooking with one.

If you have enough time before hand you can ask theAC about brining. I haven't tried it but I heard its good. If you are looking for an awesome side dish look earlier in this thread where I give the recipe for carrot souffle...its like candy :drool:

oh yes, i meant stove top stuffing. not stouffers. stove top. :heart: i drive past the stouffers/nestle headquarters everyday, i confuzzle myself all the time.

as long as i use the cooking bag, i've never had a problem with the turkey drying out with all my poked holes. i'd never stuff the turkey the night before. since i'm cooking it tonight, that's not an issue anyways. do you do anything special with the stove top? add any extra seasonings? i throw in a stick of butter with mine.

JJ Lady said:
If you are looking for an awesome side dish look earlier in this thread where I give the recipe for carrot souffle...its like candy :drool:

Oh my, that looks good. I don't think I am staying up late enough tonight to try this(read:lazy), but I will do it on Sunday. I have another turkey to cook Sunday.:D

thrawn said:
where the fuck is my stuffing recipe then :mad:
What kind of stuffing would you like? I was thinking about inventing a chicken apple sausage stuffing for tomorrow.

berzerker said:
What kind of stuffing would you like? I was thinking about inventing a chicken apple sausage stuffing for tomorrow.

thrawn said:
So anyways, tell me how to prepare a turkey and dressing. I am going to be throwing one in the oven in a couple hours. I'd love to try something new.

thrawn said:
blablabla

First of all, make certain that you cook the turkey and the stuffing separately. Not only does stuffing dry out the turkey and prolong the cooking time, but it is a harbor for bacteria.

Now, before I make a recipe, you must tell me the following:

Turkey: Baked, grilled, or fried?
Stuffing: Basic, with sausage, sweet and savory (i.e. w/ apples or cranberries), with nuts, made with cornbread, made with fresh bread or "stuffing cubes", bla bla bla.

Just give me some preferences to work with. :)

berzerker said:
First of all, make certain that you cook the turkey and the stuffing separately. Not only does stuffing dry out the turkey and prolong the cooking time, but it is a harbor for bacteria.

Now, before I make a recipe, you must tell me the following:

Turkey: Baked, grilled, or fried?
Stuffing: Basic, with sausage, sweet and savory (i.e. w/ apples or cranberries), with nuts, made with cornbread, made with fresh bread or "stuffing cubes", bla bla bla.

Just give me some preferences to work with. :)

i'm open to suggestions, but i'll go with baked here,

thrawn said:
i'm open to suggestions, but i'll go with baked here,

Maple roasted turkey with sage, bacon, and cornbread stuffing.

Combine 1 cup of room temperature butter and 1/2 bunch of finely chopped sage in a mixing bowl, mashinf with a fork or spoon until the sage is well incorporated and the butter has flecks of green in it; season with salt and pepper.

In a saute pan, melt 4 tablespoons of the sage butter, add 2 large chopped onions, cook and stir for 15 minutes until soft and golden. Remove from heat. Put 6 cups of cubed cornbread in a large mixing bowl and scrape the sauteed onion mixture on top. Add 1 large egg (beaten), 1/2 cup of heavy cream, and just enough chicken stock to moisten the stuffing without making it soggy (about 1/2 cup.) Toss well to combine, season with salt and pepper.

Remove the neck and gizzards from the inside of the turkey (12 to 14lbs, I'm assuming) and discard. Rinse the bird thoroughly inside and out with cold water, pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity and skin liberally with salt and pepper. Using your fingers, gently lift the skin from the breast and legs, and slip pieces of the sage butter underneath; massaging it in as you go. Fill the bird with the cornbread stuffing without packing too tightly; cook the remaining stuffing separately in a buttered baking dish. Truss the turkey; place it on a rack in a large roasting pan, and put into the oven.

Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup maple syrup and hot water to thin the glaze out a bit; use this to baste the turkey every 30 minutes. The turkey should take about 3 hours to cook (i.e. 15 to 20 minutes per pound.) If the legs or breast brown too quickly, cover with foil. About 2 hours into cooking, shingle 8-10 strips of bacon oven the turkey breast to cover; continue to roast and baste for another hour or so. The turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the thigh registers 170 degrees F (the thigh juices will also run clear when pricked with a knife.) Transfer the turkey to a cutting board and let rest for 20 minutes before carving, so the juices can settle back into the meat.

Skim off the excess fat from the pan drippings with a spoon and place the roasting pan over 2 burners set on medium-high heat. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up brown bits stuck to bottom of pan. Whisk 1/4cup flour into the drippings, stirring as it thickens to prevent lumps. Add the remaining chicken stock and bring to a simmer; season with salt and pepper and hit it with a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavor. Simmer for 5 minutes and then strain to remove any particles. Serve the gravy with the maple-roasted turkey and cornbread stuffing.