Thread Ask a scooter rider anything

This is a general question for all riders.

How much was it to get your motorcycle licence? And did you have to bring your own bike to the test, or will they provide one for you?

I took a state offered motorcycle driving course for $200. It was a few day course. They provided motorcycles and helmets if you didn't have your own. They taught you all the basics and at the end of the class you took the written and driving test. If you passed you got a certificate to take to the dmv to get a new license with motorcycle certification added.

If you took the test outside of the course you provided your own bike.

How much was it to get your motorcycle licence? And did you have to bring your own bike to the test, or will they provide one for you?

I took a Motorcycle Safety Program course. It was something like $50 or $80 when I did it, but I understand it's more expensive these days. They'll put you on a little 250cc bike that you could sling over your shoulder if you needed to. The class was two afternoons and a weekend. On the last day you take a written an road test which, if you pass, nets you a card that's good for a class M endorsement at your DMV. It's probably the easiest way to get your motorcycle endorsement.

The riding test was a breeze on the tiny bikes they use for the course. The written was for the most part common sense, stuff you already knew from driving a car, and only a few motorcycle specific stuff but the class taught you the exact answers for the test.

In the state of Texas, you can take a safety ride class and if you passed that, you were exempted out of the road test at the DMV. All said, I took the $175 to $195 classwork + the written course work at the DMV + the reissuing of my license with the endorsement, was around $250 total.

For the course work, helmets and bikes were supplied. You can bring your own, but the 250 Suzukis they had were far easier to maneuver and they held the insurance on them, so you didn't have to worry about that. All in all I highly recommend that strategy, taking the safety course for the license endorsement.

I took a Motorcycle Safety Program course. It was something like $50 or $80 when I did it, but I understand it's more expensive these days. They'll put you on a little 250cc bike that you could sling over your shoulder if you needed to. The class was two afternoons and a weekend. On the last day you take a written an road test which, if you pass, nets you a card that's good for a class M endorsement at your DMV. It's probably the easiest way to get your motorcycle endorsement.

The riding test was a breeze on the tiny bikes they use for the course. The written was for the most part common sense, stuff you already knew from driving a car, and only a few motorcycle specific stuff but the class taught you the exact answers for the test.

Yep, exactly. although I had to take an additional written exam at the DMV before I could get my license. The safety course just exempted me from the road test part.

I'm not here to disrespect, just to simply state my views/opinion/2cents.

Anyhoo.. I have a hard taking anyone riding these hilarious little turds with motors seriously.
Ppl on these things just look like slow little wankers on the road and I often fantasize about driving my car into them or hitting them off the side of the road.
I usually see really fat people, really nerdy people or gay dudes riding these. Or on a rare occasion, the triple threat, a fat, gay nerd.

Don't even get me started on the helmets....

Here is my question: WHY???

85 mpg. Cheap to insure. Cheap to buy outright ($2200 OTD new). Use of HOV lanes. Just as fast in stop and go traffic (even up to 50mph) as a regular car, if not faster. Less congestion because they take up less space. Easier to park, and in more places than a car. Very fun to drive.

Helmets are to protect your head if you fall. If you are wearing one for your bicycle (which you are regulated to do in Canada) and you can go faster on a scooter, why wouldn't you?

Maybe you are thinking of mopeds? Those are exactly little turds with motors.