Ask a Mormon anything.

I understand. But when those men are also married to other women the picture starts to blend together.

ohhhh, you mean if you had both simultaneously.

hmmmm, that'd be quite a pickle. i bet they'd make it ok to boff your step-sister though.

Many of Joseph Smith's wives were married to other men too.

Thus sweet jesus let's all go get drunk and forget about this conversation.

They were never married to more then one man at the same time. I already stated a lot of the original polygamists married more then one woman because their husband had died and they needed help to get across the plains and settled once they got to Utah.

“A common misconception concerning Joseph Smith's polyandry is that he participated in only one or two such unusual unions. In fact, fully one-third of his plural wives, eleven of them, were married civilly to other men when he married them. If one superimposes a chronological perspective, one sees that of Smith's first twelve wives, nine were polyandrous. So in this early period polyandry was the norm, not the anomaly." (Todd Compton, In Sacred Loneliness, pp. 15-16)

Sarcasmo's Polyandry quote about Smith
There is something called 'sealing' and from what I can tell most of the literature is that he 'married' them, but not you know, married them. Some of them were wed to him after death.

I dont have an opinion on the issue. Bringham Young definitely had multiple wives though.