Advice Arts & Crafts: Lame People Only

imgur makes it pretty easy
You don't really want me posting all of them anyway. I've already finished two this year and will be making that three next week. These are quilts I started last year though, I'm not good enough to do them from start to finish that quick.

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL
You don't really want me posting all of them anyway. I've already finished two this year and will be making that three next week. These are quilts I started last year though, I'm not good enough to do them from start to finish that quick.
one pic of all three will suffice

@kiwi, how do you cut so many squares straight?

I have the self-healing board, rotary thingy, and plastic huge ruler thing, but no matter what.. mostly on larger pieces of fabric... I cut it at an angle.

Sucks as I'm trying to make cushions, but my 26" square cuts are turning out like trapizoids.

I have the self-healing board, rotary thingy, and plastic huge ruler thing, but no matter what.. mostly on larger pieces of fabric... I cut it at an angle.

Sucks as I'm trying to make cushions, but my 26" square cuts are turning out like trapizoids.
How bad of trapezoids? I would fold the fabric in fourths, cut a 26" strip, then open it up, fold it in half the long way and cut the square from there. That way you aren't trying to keep the ruler straight and not moving for the whole 26".

I have a melamine-faced board and a straight edge that I clamp at both ends, and use a rotary cutter on. Straight cuts are straight (up to 48" long).

• Gravy
How bad of trapezoids? I would fold the fabric in fourths, cut a 26" strip, then open it up, fold it in half the long way and cut the square from there. That way you aren't trying to keep the ruler straight and not moving for the whole 26".
That's what I do, but I still fuck it up. Makes it hard to sew on the 1/4 or 1/2 when the lines aren't right. :(

the biggest problem @peanut runs into when cutting stuff is not a big enough work space. Hard to judge sides when you dont have room to lay the whole bolt out.

That's what I do, but I still fuck it up. Makes it hard to sew on the 1/4 or 1/2 when the lines aren't right. :(
Try cutting at counter height? Then you aren't bending over and maybe can apply pressure better. The other option is trying a clamp like jehannum said. Does the ruler move when you are cutting or is the trapezoid from where you line it up?

• Gravy
Try cutting at counter height? Then you aren't bending over and maybe can apply pressure better. The other option is trying a clamp like jehannum said. Does the ruler move when you are cutting or is the trapezoid from where you line it up?
I try to line up the solid edges (not the edges that are cut by the fabric store), then lay it on our dining room table which is hip height... then cut on the rulers (line it up on X, cut on the Y).

My cutting board is 24" X 18", maybe I just need a bigger one.

I cut fabric with scissors roughly, pin it together, draw a clean line on it with a washable fabric maker, sew the line, then trim the fabric back closer to the seam.

With hidden seams your stitching being straight matters more than your edges.

I cut fabric with scissors roughly, pin it together, draw a clean line on it with a washable fabric maker, sew the line, then trim the fabric back closer to the seam.

With hidden seams your stitching being straight matters more than your edges.
This isn't a bad idea if you can't get things cut right @APRIL cut out bigger, sew, trim down. Granted that means more material to buy and waste.

• Gravy
I'll only end up trimming off half an inch of fabric at most, it's not really a waste of fabric unless you're making really small things.

• Gravy
I'll only end up trimming off half an inch of fabric at most, it's not really a waste of fabric unless you're making really small things.
Yeah I imagine at most it would be a couple inches but if it prevents you from miscutting something and having to recut it would save in the end anyway.

• Gravy