Thread Article: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us

I don't think there's a conceivable reason for your blind ignorance and lack of compassion, but then everyone's entitled to their opinion. Funny how people who say the world isn't fair and nobody is equal like to deny it when they want to pretend everyone has the same opportunities in life.

Where did you find the horse you are riding on? It's quite exquisite.

Btw none of the people I know who are illiterate have told me, they don't know that I'm aware they're illiterate. Their family or best friends have told me just so I adjust how I communicate with them so it's less stressful for them. Nobody wants to admit something so embarassing.

There is no excuse for any adult in any first world country to be illiterate unless they are blind or simple. Your friend isn't trying, he is just comfortable being dependent on others which is a lot like some of "poor" we have here.

What I'm trying to say is that your friend is no better than a lazy American. :fly:

some people have learning disabilities.
my buddy is an artist.. huge in new york/miami/toronto and tokyo and he cant read/write worth shit.
hes not simple or blind, he just cant read/write.
he's also richer than most of you twats here.

Where did you find the horse you are riding on? It's quite exquisite.

96a66f73.png

Bigger lol at you denying your privilege.

You were born in a first world country
You were born white
You were born male
You were born with a supportive or loving family
You were born with a roof over your head, running water and free education (up to a certain age).

No privilege? Yeah. Right.

Are we talking about blacks in particular, or minorities? I guess I'll focus on blacks as the spokesmen for minority struggle.

Blacks in America were born in a first world country
Being black is no where near as hard as it once was. Most young people outside of Alabama are blind to color now. Most of my friends are black, hispanic, or dot Indian. This isn't the 1950s. Much of the country is now some shade of brown.
Black males are male
Countless poor blacks have loving and supportive families
Countless poor blacks have roofs, water, and all have free education.

some people have learning disabilities.
my buddy is an artist.. huge in new york/miami/toronto and tokyo and he cant read/write worth shit.
hes not simple or blind, he just cant read/write.
he's also richer than most of you twats here.

Finger painter? Kidding...

Are we talking about blacks in particular, or minorities? I guess I'll focus on blacks as the spokesmen for minority struggle.

Blacks in America were born in a first world country
Being black is no where near as hard as it once was. Most young people outside of Alabama are blind to color now. Most of my friends are black, hispanic, or dot Indian. This isn't the 1950s.
Black males are male
Countless poor blacks have loving and supportive families
Countless poor blacks have roofs, water, and all have free education.
Poverty in the US by race in 2007:

Among married couple families: 5.8% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows:
5.4% of all white persons (which includes white Hispanics),[31]
9.7% of all black persons (which includes black Hispanics),[32] and
14.9% of all Hispanic persons (of any race)[33] living in poverty.

Among single parent (male or female) families: 26.6% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows"
22.5% of all white persons (which includes white Hispanics),[31]
44.0% of all black persons (which includes black Hispanics),[32] and
33.4% of all Hispanic persons (of any race)[33] living in poverty.

Among unrelated individuals living alone: 19.1% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows:
18% of white persons (which includes white Hispanics)[34]
27.9% of black persons (which includes black Hispanics)[33] and
27% of Hispanic persons (of any race)[35] living in poverty

The US Census declared that in 2010 15.1% of the general population lived in poverty:[36]
9.9% of all non-Hispanic white persons
12.1% of all Asian persons
26.6% of all Hispanic persons (of any race)
27.4% of all black persons.

About half of those living in poverty are non-Hispanic white (19.6 million in 2010),[36] but poverty rates are much higher for blacks and Hispanics. Non-Hispanic white children comprised 57% of all poor rural children.[37]

In FY 2009, black families comprised 33.3% of TANF families, non-Hispanic white families comprised 31.2%, and 28.8% were Hispanic.[38]

Blah blah blah.

Your anecdotal evidence of friends proves nothing. Your friendships are with people who are similar to you, have similar interests and similar vaules and economic status. You're not about to go down to a project and go make buddies with the guys there, are you?

Doesn't quite say, but 1 million high school drop outs, and 20% of high school graduates. You'd have to dig into how many high school students were born and raised in the US

What counts as "functionally illiterate"? I don't consider reading to be "privileged", because I sat in the same classes as those 20% of high school graduates and 1 million high school drop outs to learn to read. And I could read well before high school. This is a whole separate issue from welfare/healthcare/etc., the government is providing the resources to teach them to read, it's working on ~80% of the population. How do these stats compare to other first world countries? How did 20% fall through the cracks so easily?

What counts as "functionally illiterate"? I don't consider reading to be "privileged", because I sat in the same classes as those 20% of high school graduates and 1 million high school drop outs to learn to read. And I could read well before high school. This is a whole separate issue from welfare/healthcare/etc., the government is providing the resources to teach them to read, it's working on ~80% of the population. How do these stats compare to other first world countries? How did 20% fall through the cracks so easily?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your parents could read and value education? You probably also had books in your house?

1 in 3 children in the UK have no books in their house. Their parents do not instill the value of education and so it is wasted. Do you blame the kids for this? Do they have much of a choice in every case? Not really.

Many of my friends are English teachers. They educate 11-16yr olds and do not take it for granted that kids can read or write at any kind of decent or literate level anymore. In short, you are privileged your parents valued reading and had books accesable for you. You're more privilged in that area than 3 out every 10 kids in the UK.

Last edited:

Among married couple families: 5.8% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows:

Among single parent (male or female) families: 26.6% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows"

Among unrelated individuals living alone: 19.1% lived in poverty.[29] This number varied by race and ethnicity as follows:

The US Census declared that in 2010 15.1% of the general population lived in poverty:[36]

About half of those living in poverty are non-Hispanic white (19.6 million in 2010),[36] but poverty rates are much higher for blacks and Hispanics. Non-Hispanic white children comprised 57% of all poor rural children.[37]

In FY 2009, black families comprised 33.3% of TANF families, non-Hispanic white families comprised 31.2%, and 28.8% were Hispanic.[38]

Blah blah blah.

Your anecdotal evidence of friends proves nothing. Your friendships are with people who are similar to you, have similar interests and similar vaules and economic status. You're not about to go down to a project and go make buddies with the guys there, are you?

What does any of this have to do with your original argument, that people cannot better themselves? No one is saying that there are no poor people in America. We are saying that regardless how poor you are, giving up and waiting for others to do your work for you is what creates the cycle of poverty.

Minorities are not as underprivileged as you would think. Yes, it will be hard for you as a Mexican if you can't speak English, or speak limited English, and your career opportunities (and resultant poverty stats) will reflect that. But probably not so for your children.

Once again, it's curious that you ignore the millions of examples of people (of all races) who have struggled and succeeded in America.

Last edited:

Blah blah blah.

Now show me the 1967, and 87. Blacks were once oppressed in our country, and a lot of them have come a long ways since then. Some still have a long ways to go. Can't fix it all overnight... and entitlements only creates dependency.

What does any of this have to do with your original argument, that people cannot better themselves? No one is saying that there are no poor people in America. We are saying that regardless how poor you are, giving up and waiting for others to do your work for you is what creates the cycle of poverty.

Once again, it's curious that you ignore the millions of examples of people (of all races) who have struggled and succeeded in America.

We were arguing privilege. If you are statistically twice as likely to be born into poverty based on being a certain race, then you don't have that privilege. I don't deny people have struggled and succeeded, what I have disagreed with ITT is people pretending that this can be the case for everybody if they try hard enough. Because it's not true.

Now show me the 1967, and 87. Blacks were once oppressed in our country, and a lot of them have come a long ways since then. Some still have a long ways to go. Can't fix it all overnight... and entitlements only creates dependency.

Once oppressed? :lol:

Which is why when you go on US sites and there's a photo of a black person the same comments and slurs come up time and time again. But hey, oppression only means slavery, right?