[Article] Article: tasker, unlock your phone for a couple of seconds when you get a text messag

6gsdZlp.png
Yes, another tasker howto for you android fanbois...

So I'm lazy and hate to have to unlock my phone unnecessarily. I also get text messages that require it. So I thought, hey dumbass why not have Tasker unlock it for you? So this project was born. When a new text is received, tasker will automatically turn off the PIN/password/keyguard. It will then wait five seconds and if you haven't turned your phone on, it will relock it. I thought this was a good balance between security and convenience.

So lets get started. You'll need to have purchased (or downloaded the trial of) Tasker and installed the free version of the amazing Tasker plugin, Secure Settings. There will be a total of three profiles used. One for when the new text comes in, one for when you turn the screen on to read it, and one for when you turn the screen off after reading it. Remember that Tasker has profiles and tasks. Profiles are "when this happens" and tasks are "do this". The ones were creating today look like this:

SMS - This profile is triggered when an SMS message is received and the screen is off.
  1. Set variable %SMSUNLOCK to 1. This is so that we can track when we've disabled the security. That way we know when to enable it again.
  2. Using Secure Settings plugin, Clear Password/PIN.
  3. Using Secure Settings plugin, Disable Keyguard.
  4. Wait 5 seconds
  5. Set variable %SMSUNLOCK to 0, IF %SCREEN = Off. These next few, we want to make sure the screen is off, meaning that we did NOT turn it on to read the text.
  6. Using Secure Settings plugin, Enable Keyguard, IF %SCREEN = Off.
  7. Using Secure Settings plugin, Set PIN, IF %SCREEN = Off. I use a PIN. If you use pattern or password, obviously use that option.
  8. Stop. This step isn't required, but its good programming.

SMSScreenOn - This profile is activated when the screen is on and %SMSUNLOCK = 1, meaning that we've turned the phone on within the 5 second countdown.
  1. Set %SMSUNLOCK to 2.

SMSScreenOff - This profile is activated the screen is off and %SMSUNLOCK = 2, meaning that we checked the message while the security was off. So now we need to reenable the security.
  1. Set variable %SMSUNLOCK to 0.
  2. Using Secure Settings plugin, Enable Keyguard
  3. Using Secure Settings plugin, Set PIN

And that's how you do it. If you'd prefer to not type this all in, I've attached the Tasker XML files here that you can simply import into your own Tasker setup. To import in Tasker, simply long press on the Profiles tab and select Import.

Last edited:
Re: le: tasker, unlock your phone for a couple of seconds when you get a text messag

And the title is too long for tapatalk by 4 characters.

sker, unlock your phone for a couple of seconds when you get a text messag

Also, kinda want. How is this to use in daily life? Makes it easier?

Check again. There was an update for Tapatalk that I just installed.

Yeah, I think so. It's kinda nice not having to unlock just to see a text. Especially if I'm carrying on a convo with someone.
Hmm, I updated the app yesterday.

How often do they update the vbull plugin? Another forum I post on is all sorts of tapatalk weirdness.

Edit: gotcha. That's one of my main gripes about having a lock code, and the primary reason I don't run with my device encrypted; I can't handle typing the encryption key every time I wanna unlock.

Last edited:
Do you have to do way more than the standard "swipe to unlock" action most phones have, or are you really that freaking lazy?

If you don't have a PIN, password, or pattern unlock on you're phone - youre fucking crazy. There is way too much of my life on there. I'm not even talking about pictures or some stupid shit. Things like my Amazon account, bank info, etc.

If you don't have a PIN, password, or pattern unlock on you're phone - youre fucking crazy. There is way too much of my life on there. I'm not even talking about pictures or some stupid shit. Things like my Amazon account, bank info, etc.

Are PINs, passwords etc any good as far as security goes?

*your

Total agreement. Too much of my life is contained on my phone to leave it to the wild. I have a "call if found" number on the lock screen as well as written inside the back cover. I actually had a lost phone get returned to me because of doing that so I've done it ever since. Never lost another phone though.

Huh
Never lost a phone, so Ive never considered it
I dont really do anything "important" on mine tho, other than email.
I have now set up the pattern lock, just in case.

Are PINs, passwords etc any good as far as security goes?

Relatively speaking, yes. If someone REALLY wanted to get into it after finding it, they *could* dump a backup of the ROM and dig into it. But the chances of that happening are rare. When its locked, you can't even mount the USB drive. The only thing easily stolen is any unencrypted data that might be on an external MicroSD.

Huh
Never lost a phone, so Ive never considered it
I dont really do anything "important" on mine tho, other than email.
I have now set up the pattern lock, just in case.

I never have either. I started doing it a while ago after reading a Lifehacker article about things that could go wrong if you don't. Even with your just email on there, someone could likely go through it and find all sorts of passwords and such for sites that you've registered at. Or find the pictures you've kept of my bung hole.