[Article] Article: raw feeding

Yup, my dogs poop is white and people often comment on 'how dog poo used to be'. If I leave it for an hour it turns to basically chalk, proving how much nutrition she derives from her food instead of making huge, stinky turds full of stuff she can't digest

Your loss I guess. Carry on arguing from an uninformed position then.

It's easy to go to www.rawdiet.com and appear to be informed. It doesn't mean that you are. I can't find any quality, well respected, or peer reviewed studies done on the subject. The study you link was a meta-study done by questioning dog owners. And it was all done by Animals without Frontiers, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that they aren't pushing an agenda.

Common sense isn't always so common...

It's easy to go to www.rawdiet.com and appear to be informed. It doesn't mean that you are. I can't find any quality, well respected, or peer reviewed studies done on the subject. The study you link was a meta-study done by questioning dog owners. And it was all done by Animals without Frontiers, which doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that they aren't pushing an agenda.

Common sense isn't always so common...

Don't think I've been on rawdiet.com actually. :D There are many well respected vets who advocate raw feeding. I suspect the lack of mass study is probably because who funds industry research when there is no industry? I'm satisfied for now with many vets who know about the raw diet and advocate it, the hundreds of people that raw feed, and the dogs I know in person who are raw fed. I keep a keen eye out for anything that says it's bad nutritionally, I try to keep it as balanced as possible and I plan to ask my vet if she can do full blood screens routinely to ensure she's in good health vitamin etc wise so I can be assured myself that it's right for my dog. I would like to organise many of us online to undergo the same micro study with their own dogs so we can be more confident in our assertions. Remember, no conclusive evidence doesn't mean it's good OR bad, so how could you know either way? From trying it out myself I believe in its benefits.

Last edited:
Don't think I've been on rawdiet.com actually. :D There are many well respected vets who advocate raw feeding. I suspect the lack of mass study is probably because who funds industry research when there is no industry? I'm satisfied for now with many vets who know about the raw diet and advocate it, the hundreds of people that raw feed, and the dogs I know in person who are raw fed. I keep a keen eye out for anything that says it's bad nutritionally, I try to keep it as balanced as possible and I plan to ask my vet if she can do full blood screens routinely to ensure she's in good health vitamin etc wise so I can be assured myself that it's right for my dog. I would like to organise many of us online to undergo the same micro study with their own dogs so we can be more confident in our assertions. Remember, no conclusive evidence doesn't mean it's good OR bad, so how could you know either way? From trying it out myself I believe in its benefits.

I personally don't care that some 'well respected' vets are advocating what is essentially a fad diet for now. I want data. And there isn't any. And raw food people organizing their data online doesn't cut any sort of statistical mustard. We need lab data. And double blind studies. With real scientists. Until then, the BEST data we have is the 100 million pets who are fed dry food every day and generally live long, healthy lives.

I personally don't care that some 'well respected' vets are advocating what is essentially a fad diet for now. I want data. And there isn't any. And raw food people organizing their data online doesn't cut any sort of statistical mustard. We need lab data. And double blind studies. With real scientists. Until then, the BEST data we have is the 100 million pets who are fed dry food every day and generally live long, healthy lives.

What about the veterinary opinion that dry food causes many health problems that just didn't exist back in the day when dogs were fed raw and home cooked diets? Do you not see a correlation there like many do? I'd love to see studies, it would at least shut people up, but like I said before how would such a study be funded when there is no industry to speak of? If they were that bad, and you trust pet food companies to know best considering you buy your food from them, what do you make of them jumping on the bandwagon and offering processed raw diets? I agree it's an ever growing trend, fad I'm not so sure, I know some great breeders/show people in the UK who have used this diet for decades with their champion dogs. I also know dogs did not used to eat processed biscuits for the majority of the species life.

Last edited:
What about the veterinary opinion that dry food causes many health problems that just didn't exist back in the day when dogs were fed raw and home cooked diets? Do you not see a correlation there like many do? I'd love to see studies, it would at least shut people up, but like I said before how would such a study be funded when there is no industry to speak of? If they were that bad, and you trust pet food companies to know best considering you buy your food from them, what do you make of them jumping on the bandwagon and offering processed raw diets? I agree it's an ever growing trend, fad I'm not so sure, I know some great breeders/show people in the UK who have used this diet for decades with their champion dogs. I also know dogs did not used to eat processed biscuits for the majority of the species life.

I have an opinion! Fly, do you have an opinion?

What about the millions of people who feed their animals dry food every day and have animals that live long, healthy lives? That is a much larger dataset that you're speaking about...

What about the veterinary opinion that dry food causes many health problems that just didn't exist back in the day when dogs were fed raw and home cooked diets? Do you not see a correlation there like many do?
correlation != causation

Could be 10,000 things that have changed over the years.

I'd love to see studies, it would at least shut people up, but like I said before how would such a study be funded when there is no industry to speak of? If they were that bad, and you trust pet food companies to know best considering you buy your food from them, what do you make of them jumping on the bandwagon and offering processed raw diets? I agree it's an ever growing trend, fad I'm not so sure, I know some great breeders/show people in the UK who have used this diet for decades with their champion dogs. I also know dogs did not used to eat processed biscuits for the majority of the species life.

There are tons of studies done every day by colleges and universities around the world with no financial input from any industry. So that isn't a requirement for a study. And is there an industry? You seem to say no, then yes.

What about the millions of people who feed their animals dry food every day and have animals that live long, healthy lives? That is a much larger dataset that you're speaking about...

correlation != causation

Could be 10,000 things that have changed over the years.

There are tons of studies done every day by colleges and universities around the world with no financial input from any industry. So that isn't a requirement for a study. And is there an industry? You seem to say no, then yes.

Colleges and universities get grants from business to undergo studies all the time, I don't know about in the US but in the UK grants are given from all over. I've said I'd love for their to be a study to shut people up, but until then what can you do? I'm no scientist, I can't prove this shit. It's not holistic medicine where a handful of people say it's great, it's almost every single dog I've seen/known that switched to raw has improved if they tolerated the diet.

Do you have an opinion Asa? Or are you just hating for no reason as usual?

Until studies have proven either way, everyone remains skeptical, however everything points to good.

You have no clue what my opinion is. Why you assume that I'm hating? Because of my past actions? Way to pigeonhole me. I'm hurt

My opinion is that I'm fucking tired of reading this shit all over the forum and I would like you to stop preaching or only preach in one thread.

Of a secondary nature, I am of the opinion that I have met some horrible vets that have given me and my family horrible advice in regards to a diverse number of animals. I am also of the opinion that when their pets are involved people tend to listen to someone that reflects their beliefs.