[Article] Article: Photography Contest

It turns out that many of you that post here aren't useless at all. In fact, quite a few of you are rich enough to blow a ton of cash on camera gear that will be useless when the z0mbie apocalypse comes. Really, its terribly short sighted of you. But hey, we might as well take advantage of the gear while you have it and the internet still works. So here we go.

I'm going to give you a word that I want you to capture in a single picture. You can take it literally or really stretch the creativity of the word itself. The end result needs to be a great picture (and it also needs to be your own, duh). Preferably something that you've just taken and not something from your archives. Remember, the idea is that you get out and use that gear now!

Since I know next to nothing about good photography, I have arranged for a guest judge. This person has over 15 years experience and was once voted most likely to get pregnant in the dark room. Let's give a warm welcome to our resident judgey vag, @APRIL. Thank you very much for accepting the position.

The contest will run for a week, giving you guys time to get out and take something really cool. I'll ask that you submit no more than two pictures. The winner will get some serious UF street cred and also a prize from http://www.somethingstore.com/ (as seen on Tosh.0!)

Let's start off with this word: SPRING

To enter, send no more than two photo entries via email to [email protected]. They will be posted to an IMGUR gallery that will be presented to @APRIL and the rest of you next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Will you take that into account with your judging? If not, then it's a valid excuse, if you will, then it doesn't matter.

Use the rain to your advantage... Be creative. Got a shop light? Bring it out with you under an umbrella.

Plus not all pics need to be taken outside.

Use the rain to your advantage... Be creative. Got a shop light? Bring it out with you under an umbrella.

Plus not all pics need to be taken outside.

Again.....the issue isn't ideas....the issue is lack of experience in a competition where the quality of the picture matters.

Quality is subjective. This isn't about pixels or sharpness or color depth. It's about simple composition. Just take a photo of something involving the word spring! If we like the idea behind the photo that's all it takes.