[Article] Article: Newfoundland-style cherry cake. Optional rum content.

This is something my family's been making for years around christmas time, and I've never seen it outside of Newfoundland hence the title. At first glance this might look like fruitcake (and I s'pose, it technically is a fruit cake) but believe me, it's much better. It's awesome. It's even better with rum.

Here's your ingredients:

358pieb.jpg

2 cups sugar
1.5 cups butter
3 eggs
2 tsp each vanilla, almond extracts
3 cups flour + around 1/4 cup.
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 pound of glace cherries, whole or halved
1 cup dark rum (optional)

Step #1 - if your cherries aren't halved, do that first. It's an annoying, time consuming process and your hands will get all sticky, but the cake bakes better if you do it.

2igzvrm.jpg

Step #2 - Grease two baking pans with vegetable oil or shortening, then sprinkle/toss a bit of flour around in them. This makes it easier to get the cake out of the pans than oil alone.

2jfha9f.jpg

Step #3 - Set your oven to 325F. There's a pressure cooker on the stove full of a goat curry I'll make a post about some other time

2nlzuo0.jpg

Step #4 - Put 1.5c of butter and 2c of sugar in your kitchenaid bowl if you have one, or in a regular mixing bowl if you're using a handheld mixer. Don't go through the hassle of cramming butter into a measuring cup - use a kitchen scale, put the bowl and weigh out 12 ounces of butter.

"Hay! what's cooking? you makin' people food?" - Charlie in the background..

1zbrkua.jpg

Step #5 - Beat together the sugar and butter until it's nice and fluffy, with no lumps of butter or sugar to be seen. Then add 3 eggs one at a time, beating each egg fully into the mixture before adding the next. Then add 2 teaspoons each of vanilla and almond extract, and fully beat those in.

351j289.jpg

Step #6 - whisk together 3 cups flour and 1.5 tsp baking powder.

2ep4rv4.jpg

Step #7 - Crack into a can of evaporated milk. You could substitute coffee cream or regular milk for it, but it's totally not the same. You'll need 1 cup of it, use the rest for coffee/tea.

21ahmc6.jpg

Step #8 - Add 1/3 of the milk, and fully beat it into the sugar mixture. Then add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat that in. Repeat until everything's in there, and the batter's nice and smooth and silky.

2i8zxux.jpg

Step #9 - Toss the cherries in a second mixing bowl with a bit of flour, enough to coat them, about 1/4 cup. This keeps them from clumping together when they're in the cake.

nv4fax.jpg

Step #10 - Stir the cherries into the cake batter carefully, using a spatula or wooden spoon. Then dump the batter/cherry mixture into the two prepared pans, and spread the batter out evenly.

2cy4rvt.jpg

Step #11 - throw that shit in the oven! It'll bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. Poke it with a toothpick dead center when it's baking, and if the toothpick comes out without any raw dough on it, you're done.

2ywbdkz.jpg

Step #12 - done!

m8fbps.jpg

Let it cool in the pan until you can comfortably pick up the pan, then carefully separate the cake from the pan and let it cool to room temperature on a cooling rack. Then either move it to a large ziploc type bag, or wrap it in saran warp.

Optional step #13 - I didn't get any pictures of this. Put each loaf in a ziploc bag and add 1/2 cup of rum to each bag. Close the bag, shake it around so the whole loaf is soaked in rum, then get as much air out of the bag as you can and seal it. Wait a couple of days for the rum to soak evenly through the cake and you'll have awesome cherry rum cake.

The stuff goes amazing with a cup of tea (orange pekoe, fuck everything else) or coffee.

Enjoy!