Hello useless forums, and welcome to another episode of the Jew Yankee Workshop. As always, I'll be your host Zac Lipshitz. This week we take you on a magical ride around the construction of a coffee table. See, it starts like this...
A while ago, April and I bought a new couch. The last couch was over ten years old. It was some really nice Pottery Barn stuff, but it had seen better times. You mostly just sunk into the cushions. Really fat people had trouble getting out. It was kinda like a sports car, except it was a decade old and full of cat hair. We find a sweet new couch at Rooms To Go. Obviously the quality isn't the best, but it's nice. Except for the fact that it's like really tall. I'm over six foot tall and if I sit all the way back, my feet don't touch the floor. Who cares?
Well it turns out that it's really hard to find a coffee table that is also tall enough for this couch. You end up leaning over way too far to get a drink or eat. Yes, we eat in front of the TV like redneck savages. Suck it Trebek. Knowing this, it was time to crank up the Jew Yankee Workshop.
As mentioned in the forum a while ago, I found an interesting design for a coffee table. It was a little small and not tall enough, but it was a good enough base plan that I could hack it up as needed. So I did. This was it.
Since the table was wider than I could/would buy a board for, I had to glue three of them together. And then I used pocket screws to join them together.
This is it all screwed together and marked for where all the legs and stuff go
Here you can see that I've assembled the bottom half of the table. It's not actually attached to the table top here, but no one knows that. Except for you.
Taken back apart, I decided to stain the wood black to match everything else.
Here's the underside of the top stained.
Then came the hard part. I used an expensive wiping stain from Sherwin-Williams. Everything I read said the stain wouldn't come off and that I could also use a wipe-on polyurethane to seal it. Everything I read was right... For the bottom of the table. For whatever reason, applying the wipe-on poly to the top just removed most of the stain. Yes, I know they use the same thinner/spirits/whatever, but its SUPPOSED to be stain. As in, it's forever stained. Turns out that wasn't the case. I tried sanding it back down, letting the stain dry for 24+ hours (even thought it only needed like 20 minutes), and wiping on the poly. Nothing worked out properly.
I finally gave up and bought some brush-on poly. This worked perfectly. Well mostly. As I was taking pictures of the final product, I see that there are some serious drips on the edges. I'll probably take it back out into the garage soon, sand it down, and restain and poly the damn thing. Such is life in the Jew Yankee Workshop.