[Article] Article: I don't watch that much television, but I am a geek. (HTPC Part II)

To jailbreak an ATV2 run Seas0npass on it, install NitoTV, then use that to install XBMC and any other helpful apps.

Another Top Gear top tip when using ATV's for XBMC is to have a SQL backend for the library database. The ATV's are shit ass slow otherwise. It's very easy to setup, and all info can be found in the XBMC Wiki.

To jailbreak an ATV2 run Seas0npass on it, install NitoTV, then use that to install XBMC and any other helpful apps.

Another Top Gear top tip when using ATV's for XBMC is to have a SQL backend for the library database. The ATV's are shit ass slow otherwise. It's very easy to setup, and all info can be found in the XBMC Wiki.

You technically don't even need NitoTV. Once it's broken, just SSH into it and install XBMC

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Install_XBMC_on_Apple_TV_2

Nope, you don't. But having Nito installed makes the update and maintenance considerably easier since you can then do it from your couch with the remote.

I've never used it. I've set mine up to boot directly into XBMC, so I never even see the Apple interface. Yuck!

We use ours for Netflix as well quite regularly, so it's bots up into the ATV interface.
Ahhh, that makes sense. Since I download everything I want to watch, I've personally got no use for Netflix. ;) April does use it occasionally, and in that case, she uses the xbox.

Theres a plugin for xbmc that lets you watch amazon prime videos pretty seamlessly...Ill dig up the book mark later if anyone wants it

edit - I think theres one for netflix too

Last edited: