[Article] Article: Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Domon

Robotic Dexter
May 19, 2011
Marklar
₥54,338
Its cold, its rainy, a good stew is just what everyone needs to warm them up.

Gather your ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
2 cups sweet yellow onion, diced
8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dill weed
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup of 2% milk
2 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (divided)
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sour cream
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Parsley for garnish

6xNvr.jpg

Chop chop chop. Chop everything thick, especially the mushrooms. Mushrooms are the meat of the vegetable kingdom, none of that fancy pansy french fine mincing stuff. This is Hungarian. The food of Keyser Soze. Large Chops for a large appetite.

0P8a2.jpg

Saute those onions up nice in a dutch oven until they sweat. Not too high heat or theyll taste acrid.

ftdLR.jpg

Once thats done, add the mushrooms, and a mix of 1/2-3/4s of a cup of broth mixed with the dill, the paprika, and the soy sauce

1b5md.jpg

Add extra dill, because dill is awesome.

Put the lid on, and cook for 15 minutes. Take a peek and smell the deliciousness wafting out if you must. Do it.

P6JyU.jpg

After the 15 minutes is up, move it to a different pan, pyrex works nice. Hold it there for a bit

put 2-4 tablespoons of butter, melt it up good in your dutch oven. I needed 4

VJkIg.jpg

Mix the flour in, make a nice roux and then put the milk in

QQbqZ.jpg

This is a critical step, and the roux sets up superfast, be careful.

Mix your removed stew back in, stir it up until it thickens a bit, then slap that lid back on for another 15 minutes after you've added the rest of the broth

er4tU.jpg

If you did it right, it will be thick enough to stick to the spoon and nice and creamy

And it will result in this:

pSn5E.jpg

Garnish with parsley, squeeze two slices of lemon (or more) across the top of it, and give it a good dollop of sour cream.

You've got hungarian mushroom soup. Very creamy, very hearty (assuming you arent a french namby pamby and sliced your mushrooms thin (seriously. dont do that)), and delicious on a cold fall day after a hurricane.

well, if you do have mushrooms, no white ones. They suck and dont taste like anything. Cremini or portabello or any of the brown varieties.

OMG, that looks sooo good! I meant to get to the store tonight to get ingredients for a beef stew & chili. But, trick or treating and sex ran too late, so I was too dead. I must try this recipe, though - onions, because barf.

I haven't gotten into mushrooms yet. The texture still freaks me out. :hs:

Sooooo is this a tshirt thread?

Omg this looks soooo good!!!!!! I'm a lil concerned about the amount of butter but this def something I'm going to try! Thanks for sharing!

Ps: I'm loving these recipes we are sharing! Keep them coming people!!

It tied with Le Creuset. They both got 3 stars across the board.
Didn't know that. I would give it a try if I was going to do it again. I'm set though, been collecting cookware a piece at a time for years. I'm a brand name cookware whore