[Article] Article: howto - sharpening a lawn mower blade

No tool rest. My bench grinder isn't even a bench grinder, it's a homemade contraption with a 1/3hp electric motor and an arbor side by side on a piece of wood, with a belt drive between the two.

If you're holding the blade right, and sharpening the blade in the right direction, the grinder shouldn't be able to grab the blade and throw it.

this is bad logic. take it from injury-prone me. Set up your safety shit right.

Besides, if you set up an adjustable tool rest, you'll never have to worry about angle again.

this is bad logic. take it from injury-prone me. Set up your safety shit right.

Besides, if you set up an adjustable tool rest, you'll never have to worry about angle again.
That involves buying something. I'm cheap, and I rarely ever use the grinder anyway - generally when I'm sharpening the lawnmower blade in the spring, little else.

If I'm going to spend money, I might be better off replacing my 1980s chainsaw which lacks any kind of kickback protection, or even a clutch for that matter - blade always spins.

That involves buying something. I'm cheap, and I rarely ever use the grinder anyway - generally when I'm sharpening the lawnmower blade in the spring, little else.

If I'm going to spend money, I might be better off replacing my 1980s chainsaw which lacks any kind of kickback protection, or even a clutch for that matter - blade always spins.

pfft, doesnt involve buying anything. 2x4 tool rest.

i have special manual and electric sharpening stones and steels that i use for my knives.

but im shit scared of my mower.

tried to sharpen the fucker while the blade was still on it last year. too scared to take it off for fear of not getting it back on properly.

what if it comes loose and flies off while mowing? then what? we all die thats what.

blade is as sharp as a lolly stick right now. still cuts the grass though. takes ages and the engine make weird noises if the grass is longer than 3 inches.

fuck it. ill just buy a new mower.

i have special manual and electric sharpening stones and steels that i use for my knives.

tried to sharpen the fucker while the blade was still on it last year. too scared to take it off for fear of not getting it back on properly.

what if it comes loose and flies off while mowing? then what? we all die thats what.

blade is as sharp as a lolly stick right now. still cuts the grass though. takes ages and the engine make weird noises if the grass is longer than 3 inches.

Before you get a new mower, take yours to a small engine shop. Get them to sharpen the blade, tune up the engine, change the oil and air filters, etc. Should only cost you 50-75 bucks, by far cheaper than a new mower.

Plus, pretty much everything made these days is crap, and if it's not you're paying a lot for it.

You are hurting your grass.
Also, it isnt hard to get the blade on properly, tighten all the way down, wedge a chunk of 4x4 in between the blade and the wall of the mower so when you tighten the bolt down if the blade moves it will contact the chunk of wood and wedge it in place allowing it to be tightened

You are hurting your grass.
Also, it isnt hard to get the blade on properly, tighten all the way down, wedge a chunk of 4x4 in between the blade and the wall of the mower so when you tighten the bolt down if the blade moves it will contact the chunk of wood and wedge it in place allowing it to be tightened

I just use my foot.

FANKS FOR THIS, ASAA!!

What do people suggest for 'winterizing' a ride on. $1800 investment that we should probably think about doing this to. or no? It's kept on the garage, so nothing will freeze on it. maybe. Tips, preez?

FANKS FOR THIS, ASAA!!

What do people suggest for 'winterizing' a ride on. $1800 investment that we should probably think about doing this to. or no? It's kept on the garage, so nothing will freeze on it. maybe. Tips, preez?

has nothing to do with freezing. You need to clear the carb of gas or itll turn into varnish. And you need to winterize any gas you put in it.

I recommend seafoam for doing so, or just completely draining the fuel.