[Article] Article: howto - sharpening a lawn mower blade

I actually appreciate the fact that Fly started with step 1: make sure the fucking thing is turned off.

When applying this logic to riding mowers, make sure your mower isnt a damn v-twin and that you think its off and only pull one plug out of two because the second one is hidden under a plastic cover and will both confuse and scare the shit out of you when it starts without what you thought was the solitary spark plug unconnected.

Fly, you left off the important bits at the end :*(

I posted all I got... :confused:

edit: Stupid fucking gmail. For some reason it hid the rest of the article behind a stupid little ellipsis button.

edit again: And now half the pics won't load in Gmail. :gayo:

Last edited:
Nice article.

I take the unsafe-as-fuck approach - hold the blade in my hands with a pair of gloves, and hold it against a bench grinder.

No tool rest. My bench grinder isn't even a bench grinder, it's a homemade contraption with a 1/3hp electric motor and an arbor side by side on a piece of wood, with a belt drive between the two.

If you're holding the blade right, and sharpening the blade in the right direction, the grinder shouldn't be able to grab the blade and throw it.