[Article] Article: home part two: kitchin fixins

Looks great! I would highly avoid concrete counter tops, though. They are exceptionally porous and very easy to stain. My general contractor dad has a demo showroom with cement counter tops and they are in terrible shape because of how porous they are. They might be cheaper and/or easier to do one's self, but you won't like the end product in 5 years of use.

Certainly they can be sealed somehow...?

Looks great! I would highly avoid concrete counter tops, though. They are exceptionally porous and very easy to stain. My general contractor dad has a demo showroom with cement counter tops and they are in terrible shape because of how porous they are. They might be cheaper and/or easier to do one's self, but you won't like the end product in 5 years of use.

This.

Certainly they can be sealed somehow...?

They can be sealed but you have to seal them like once a month diligently in order to keep them looking good. I looked into them for our kitchen and decided I didn't want that kind of responsibility. You have to take everything off your counter and leave it off for 24 hours while the sealant sets up. Sounds like a big pain in the ass.

Installing them could certainly be done in a weekend. But building them would be a pain in the ass. More specifically, I personally wouldn't have fun doing that. But my hats off to you sir if you do.

I have a friend whose husband is amazing with wood work. He's built cabinets more than once. If they didn't freaking live out west I'd have him build for us. Apparently if you know what you are doing it isn't all that hard. Making pretty doors is the hardest part.

I love the way the new kitchen looks though - would love to have a pretty new one here. I just cook so darn much that I can't imagine being without my kitchen for long.

I have a friend whose husband is amazing with wood work. He's built cabinets more than once. If they didn't freaking live out west I'd have him build for us. Apparently if you know what you are doing it isn't all that hard. Making pretty doors is the hardest part.

I love the way the new kitchen looks though - would love to have a pretty new one here. I just cook so darn much that I can't imagine being without my kitchen for long.

And I wouldn't start tear down or installation until you were happy with how they looked in the basement. Honestly, I could even do one side one weekend, and the other side another weekend if you still thought it would take too long.

You are cute - get back to work ;)

I just worry that if we run into other issues with installation we'll be stuck for a while. You know huge holes in the walls or something. No I do not trust the previous home owners. I'm very sure they did the cabinets themselves and went as cheap as possible.

i was cool with the additional trim, and the nice handles and everything until YOU FREAKING PAINTED IT PURPLE. WHAT THE FUCK MAN.

[/domon]