[Article] Article: Getting started with Amazon Web Services

I can't mentally wrap my mind around this. It's a "cloud" server... But what's the cloud. INFINITE SPACE? Or is it tied to physical hardware somewhere? If so, what makes it different than what you had?

*rereads article*

I can't mentally wrap my mind around this. It's a "cloud" server... But what's the cloud. INFINITE SPACE? Or is it tied to physical hardware somewhere? If so, what makes it different than what you had?

*rereads article*

The cloud really just means that you pay for what you use. Can it be infinite space? Sure, if you want to pay for it. As another example, another article idea I have is about backing up your important stuff to the Amazon cloud. For long term storage, its .01 per gigabyte per month. If you were to do this yourself, you'd have to buy a 1TB or 2TB or 10TB hard drive depending on how much 'stuff' you have. With the cloud, you don't have to plan like that. It's just what you consume.

The cloud, basically, is just a trade name for hosted services which have been in existed for ages, but became the cloud when they simplified it to a point that almost anyone can put a server on it.

The cloud really just means that you pay for what you use. Can it be infinite space? Sure, if you want to pay for it. As another example, another article idea I have is about backing up your important stuff to the Amazon cloud. For long term storage, its .01 per gigabyte per month. If you were to do this yourself, you'd have to buy a 1TB or 2TB or 10TB hard drive depending on how much 'stuff' you have. With the cloud, you don't have to plan like that. It's just what you consume.

Oh. That makes sense.

:heart:

Security implications though? Is there fine print about them having access to your information. What would you feel comfortable putting in the cloud?