[Article] Article: Easy Mussels Marinara (with Marinara recipe)

Easy Mussels Marinara (with Marinara recipe)

30 minutes from prepped ingredients to serving. Easy

Ingredients

1.75 lbs mussels*
1 Cup dry white Wine
1 Small onion, chopped
7 Large cloves garlic, minced
1 16.0 ounces tweaked marinara sauce** for your Mussels
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS salted Butter
1 Tsp Salt
.25 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1 loaf Italian Bread (the best you can get), 1/2 inch thick slices, and if you cut it at an angle it will look even nicer
1 heaping Tsp Sriracca Sauce
1/4 Tsp ground red pepper flakes

Directions

Mussels are considered the freshest in this area if you get them in the 'R' months. (months containing an 'R.') The bag pictured was 1.75 lbs of mussels. The hardest part of this entire recipe (if there is a 'hardest' part) is rinsing & separating the mussels.**

-In a large saute pan heat olive oil and butter, add onion and garlic and lightly saute until the onions are translucent - up to about 10 minutes. (medium to low heat as you DO NOT want to brown the garlic)
-Add the Wine, Salt and Pepper and stir, increase heat to med-hi and bring to a rolling boil.
-While boiling, Gently add the mussels, (just add by gently pouring them in the pan and don't stir) cover pot and cook until mussels are fully opened (discard unopened mussels), approximately 8-10 minutes. (lots of steam will be coming out from under the lid)
-remove from heat and gently pour entire contents of pan into a large pasta bowl.

[This recipe is great if you stop here too, but I really like adding the tweaked marinara. It adds a great flavor to the mussels and I have more sauce to dip the bread]

In a separate pot bring the marinara sauce to barely a simmer stirring constantly (about 3 minutes over med-hi heat), then pour it over the mussels and serve with the Italian bread for dipping after the mussels are eaten.

This goes great with dry white wine, a not too complex red, or a light beer

*Rinsing and Separating the mussels: Run them under cold water, & lightly brush off the surface of the shells. Check them all that they're all closed completely. This is a good sign that they're still alive and fresh enough to eat. If they're not, they MAY be dead and you don't want to eat them. To check this, whack them on the counter/cutting-board/handle of your heavy knife hard, but not hard enough to crack the shell, then set those aside. Sometimes they're just resting open, are still alive, and absolutely worth this step. Continue separating. Any ones that are wide open or have cracked shells with the insides showing just discard. When you're done, check the ones that you whacked to see if they've closed. (In my bag, out of the 1.75 lbs, I tossed 5, 3 were cracked & missing large parts of the shell so I count them as dead, and 2 others didn't fully close. 5 did close back up! As you're eating your last mussels you'll be thankful you did this! Yeah, they're that good.)

**Tweaked Marinara Sauce:
-Use 16 oz of Marinara sauce made below and add one heaping TSP of Sriracca Sauce and 1/4 tsp ground red pepper flakes (mortar & pestle or you can chop them up very well with a knife too). Taste! It should have just a little kick to it.

++Alt Version: You can also serve this with or without the marinara over 1/2 lb Linguine.

If you're not making your own marinara, here's a great cheat,

Marinara Recipe:
26oz of a really good jar brand that you like. (NOT a meat sauce! most of the jars are 26oz)
1 28oz (large can) San Marzano Tomato's - it needs to say D.O.P. on the can. If it doesn't they're not as good. If your mother or grandmother disagrees don't argue, but since they're wrong, you'll follow this recipe and lie to them that you did it their way.
3 TBS tomato paste (Italian herb flavored is OK too.)
1 large onion diced
3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
2 TBS fresh oregano (or 2Tsp dried)
2 TBS fresh basil (or Tsp dried)
2 TBS good olive oil
2 TBS salted Butter
2 Tsp Salt (more to taste if needed)
1 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper (more to taste if needed)
1 TBS Sugar

Directions:

-In a large (3QT or larger) sauce pan, medium-low heat, heat olive oil and butter then add Onion and Garlic. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add Oregano, Basil, Salt and Pepper and stir
- Add Jar of sauce, can of Tomatoes, and Tomato Paste and stir.
- Heat until barely simmering
- Blend almost smooth with a stick blender
- Continue barely simmering for 30 minutes.
- Add Sugar, stir

(After you do this marinara recipe a few times you can leave out the jarred sauce, increase everything else by 50% and then start adjusting the ingredients to make it your own.)

Mussels Marinara

I was a little lean on the onion. Add more or less to your suiting. I could have easily added double and it would have still been great. That's 7 large cloves of fresh garlic. You can chop the onion and garlic more fine if you want.

o0ZBP4il.jpg

(below) Rinsed and Separated Mussels

HKT6ag4l.jpg

(below) Heating the onion & garlic over med/low heat - DON'T BURN or FRY IT!!

cOQ5GXZl.jpg

(below) On the verge of totally translucent. If you leave it on the heat longer the onion will get mushy and you'll lose the texture. Time for the wine, Salt & Pepper.

HYzeuAV.jpg

(below) Wine, Salt & Pepper Added,

oJmhUnDl.jpg

(below) Increase the heat to med/hi and just bring to a rolling boil and add Mussels

ZMGStenl.jpg

Cover for 8-10 minutes. I didn't look for 9 minutes, removed the cover and voila! 100% of the ones that made it to the pan opened.

8FTyeoel.jpg

Pour it into a large pasta serving bowl, then top with tweaked Marinara, take picture with S3 in blue phone case,

PsPRV6r.jpg

Bring a large bowl to put the shells in as you use your fingers to pull these bad boys out one at a time, letting any excess sauce drip back into the dish and eating the mussel out of the shell with a fork. Bring over enough sliced Italian bread so that you won't have to get up for more. For me it was about 1/3 of a loaf. Have all alcohol products within reach, several napkins and enjoy.

0f8Nkv2.jpg

My date rolled in around 10:30 after her rounds & she asked if I saved her any. I said "Sure did. I saved the other bottle of wine for us."

The mussels were gone.

Thanks for this @Amstel. We really need to talk more about cooking around here. :drool:

Plz PM me your address if you'd like your tshirt. I'll try and get yours and Cleetus' out this week. Thanks! :heart:

Last edited:
I love mussels, not sure about marinara because I'm not a huge fan of it on shrimp either.

Our friends did a beer broth with mussels... omg...:drool:

That's the busiest marinara recipe I've ever seen.

All you need is garlic, roma tomatoes, and basil (and a touch of salt and pepper).

Sauté the garlic in butter, add the tomatoes (by crushing them), and let thicken while poaching a sprig or two of basil in the mixture. I like to use 4 cloves of garlic per pound of tomatoes, but you could use more or less depending on how you like your garlic.

That's the busiest marinara recipe I've ever seen.

All you need is garlic, roma tomatoes, and basil (and a touch of salt and pepper).

Sauté the garlic in butter, add the tomatoes (by crushing them), and let thicken while poaching a sprig or two of basil in the mixture. I like to use 4 cloves of garlic per pound of tomatoes, but you could use more or less depending on how you like your garlic.

yes! but if you're coming out of decent jarred sauces most people find the tomato sauce too mild on flavor, sometimes bitter (if the rookie overcooks it), and too time consuming.

The tomato paste speeds things up considerably.

Also, I'm an onion whore.

Last edited:
Onions :drool:

edit: And quit complaining. If you can make a better recipe, post it up!

Ok, I prefer mouclade. It's mussels with a curried cream and wine sauce from the La Rochelle area if France.

Start out by steeping a few strands of saffron in a tablespoon of warm water.
Put around 3lbs mussels into a large pan (woks are ideal for this) together with a glass of white wine and cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until the mussels open.
Strain the mussels over a pan so you can use the cooking liquor later. Keep the mussels warm while you complete the dish.
Put a knob of butter into the wok along with 1/2 a teaspoon of curry powder, a finely chopped onion ( i tend to use a couple of shallots instead) and 2 cloves of garlic, again finely chopped.
Cook gently for a couple of minutes then (optionally) add a dash of cognac.
Return all bar the last bit of the cooking liquor to the wok (the last bit might be gritty) and add the saffron liquid.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes before adding 1/2 a pint of cream or creme fraiche.
Cook for another 3 minutes, season to taste then add some chopped parsley and pour over the mussels in a dish.
Serve with crusty bread.

Takes about 12 minutes from start to finish and it's wonderful.

that sounds really good.

Ya know, I've always let them steam for 8 mins. Never questioned it, but your recipe is way shorter. So via google, there's a crap load of shorter times in recipes. I'm going to try cutting the time way down. Especially since that that bag of mussels was only 1.75 lbs.

Most people overcook seafood of every description. If you cook mussels for 3 minutes then leave them somewhere warm while you make the sauce, they finish cooking at the same time really gently.

I also have a variant of your dish in Paris whenever I visit. If you remove the mussels from the shells after a couple of minutes steaming and line a tapas dish with them ( for individual portions). Cover the mussels with marinara then lots of mozzarella and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:
Ok, I prefer mouclade. It's mussels with a curried cream and wine sauce from the La Rochelle area if France.

Start out by steeping a few strands of saffron in a tablespoon of warm water.
Put around 3lbs mussels into a large pan (woks are ideal for this) together with a glass of white wine and cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until the mussels open.
Strain the mussels over a pan so you can use the cooking liquor later. Keep the mussels warm while you complete the dish.
Put a knob of butter into the wok along with 1/2 a teaspoon of curry powder, a finely chopped onion ( i tend to use a couple of shallots instead) and 2 cloves of garlic, again finely chopped.
Cook gently for a couple of minutes then (optionally) add a dash of cognac.
Return all bar the last bit of the cooking liquor to the wok (the last bit might be gritty) and add the saffron liquid.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes before adding 1/2 a pint of cream or creme fraiche.
Cook for another 3 minutes, season to taste then add some chopped parsley and pour over the mussels in a dish.
Serve with crusty bread.

Takes about 12 minutes from start to finish and it's wonderful.

Quick, teach your daughter to make this for me