[Article] Article: DAMN THAT'S SOME GOOD CANDY!! V. Almond Roca

This is an old recipe of my gf's family.

No one that makes this has ever used a candy thermometer so making this is a little bit of an art, you have to pay real attention to the color/consistency of the candy as you're making it, and you cannot stop stirring it at all until it's ready to lay out. I will try and explain as best I can so that you may have success in deliciousness.

Use a non-stick skillet, and go with some sort of spatula that won't damage the skillet.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of water, as well as

Re3Xm.jpg

Tablespoon of white corn syrup (YES, HIGH FRUCTOSE, ZOMGGGGGGG!!!! get over it, I never said this was healthy. Look above, two fucking sticks of butter, your inner Paula Deen is cheering you on), I recommend you spray the tablespoon with some Pam or something to prevent it from sticking
MOh5t.jpg

We like sliced, you can also go slivers. Part of the reason we like sliced is to gauge when the candy is done, these are thin enough that right as the candy is almost done they start to brown up some.
N12pR.jpg

How many?
That many
JwKtT.jpg

Turn the heat on High, and just keep stirring. Seriously, most important part of this recipe, just keep stirring.
Just keep stirring. Just keep stirring. Just keep stirring, stirring, stirring. What do we do? We stir, stir
7EP3I.jpg

The candy starts to caramelize, starts to brown up
You want to make sure you stir the middle as well as work the interior into the middle so it can be stirred as well.
Eventually it will thicken and won't flow around the spatula, this consistency is about what you want, now you just want the color to be right
GuMl2.jpg

About here is what you want
diA1m.jpg

Lay it out
There is enough butter in this that you don't need to use a non-stick surface or any sort of Pam or non-stick spray.
4H5qz.jpg

Spread it out
xV4HB.jpg

Chocolate! Lots of chocolate!
qjY7k.jpg

You don't need to cover every inch, when it melts it will spread
XLwBb.jpg

fxiUc.jpg

What's this?
Chocolate? for me?
iPAan.jpg

Ok!
:hay:
mB0Sp.jpg

Spread your nuts.
We used toasted chopped walnuts, you can go with pecans or whatever you wish.
5oae3.jpg

This is a winter recipe because you need to then set the pan somewhere cold so it will set. Once it does (roughly an hour, half an hour if you toss it in the freezer) just sorta jab at it with a knife to break it up and enjoy!