[Article] Article: Cutting the Useless Cable (Part V)

Re: Article: Cutting the Useless Cable (Part V) - Tapatalk friendly now fgts

OK, I tried Zac, really. But, my attn span lasted until the first mention of NZEEB files or whatever. Guess I'm gonna continue to pay $200/mo for FiOS!

I've never payed for tv.

Re: Article: Cutting the Useless Cable (Part V) - Tapatalk friendly now fgts

OK, I tried Zac, really. But, my attn span lasted until the first mention of NZEEB files or whatever. Guess I'm gonna continue to pay $200/mo for FiOS!

I'm doing my best to write it for the lowest common denominator, but its complex stuff. Or I'm just a shitty writer. :iono:

The thought has occurred to me somehow sell preconfigured boxes locally or online.

I just ran through these to set up SAB at home. Until this point, I didn't have any of this running. Fast, ez, following the directions made it simple.

you have created a monster. I started fucking pricing out god damned foxcon nettops last night. By the end of 2013, my place could very well become a home automation nightmare.

OR ITS BRIGHTEST SHINIEST POSTER BOY

Last edited:
Don't you have a rack and stuff? Pics of setup?

No rack. Just 3 physical boxes (4 if you count the laptop & it's docking station).

My VM is a dell optiplex 755. Simple dual core pentium but built on a business class chassis and supports hardware virtualization. 8gb ram, 2 raid arrays of 250gb and 2tb. Running Hyper V for the 3 virtuals it runs. I have a smaller Optiplex 960 running as my PDC, but it's overhead is so low it can house another VM if needed. I'm actually killing off one of my Ubuntu servers and making a new one using some of your suggestions to get me a more integrated Linux server. The biggest issue I have right now is distributing the bandwidth to locations I need. I keep looking back at your MOCA setup, but can't help but think that going with a Wireless Bridge topography might be easier and more flexible.

Last edited:
A wireless bridge *might* be easier, but I did not have a good experience streaming 720p content over wireless (and a wasted a ton of cash buying really nice .11N gear). MOCA, once setup, is rock-fucking-solid, extremely fast, and stupid cheap.