[Article] Article: airtran free flights and upgrades

Airtran gets into the game! Regularly, Southwest Airlines will run credit card deals with minimal spending requirements that award free tickets. Well, Southwest now owns Airtran, so it only makes sense that they would start doing the same thing, only better.

Since we like to do a lot of long weekend traveling, I'm big on finding cheap and easy domestic tickets. Airtran Airlines has partnered with Chase for a new Visa credit card. Here's the deal:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/airtran/32loyaltycorner
  • $69 annual fee (not waived the first year)
  • 2 free business class upgrades after your first purchase (not available on Southwest!)
  • 2 free round trip tickets after spending $2000
  • Points for spending money (I couldn't care less about this part)

The upfront fee of $69 is pretty good considering what you're getting out of the deal. Tickets to just about anywhere start at $200 and go up from there. The $2000 worth of "spending" is easy. Here's a few ways to tackle it:
  • Setup an Amazon Payments account and partner with a husaband/wife/friend/aunt/uncle. You can send up to $1000 a month to another Amazon Payments member for free. So you and your partner each send the other a quick $1000 every month. Withdraw the money you receive from your Amazon Payments account, and pay off your credit card bill.
  • See my article about the bluebird. The Vanilla Reload cards mentioned in that article are now being stocked at more and more places like drug stores, gas stations, even Wal-Marts.
  • Upcoming large purchases like home improvements, Christmas, etc.

In the end, for the $69 up front fee you'll end up with two free tickets and two free business class upgrades.

Note: Some people seem to worry about the annual fee. However, the credit card companies always bill you in advance for the second year. So I usually just wait to get the bill for the $69 fee next year, then call and cancel. Since the card is relatively 'new', the effect on your credit is minimal. I do it pretty regularly and still have a +750 credit score.

Got an idea for an article of your own that we should hear about? Want free swag? Make a thread in the forum or email it to [email protected]. If accepted, you'll receive a free tshirt!

I've just about got my free ticket on my current card and needed another to start working towards. Should I do this or the other one you posted?

I've just about got my free ticket on my current card and needed another to start working towards. Should I do this or the other one you posted?

The Bluebird card is great for helping you easily meet spending requirements on credit card offers like the one in this thread. However you want to spend the $2,000 is up to you. It's a relatively small amount. If you can, the Amazon Payments method is probably the easiest way to do it tho.

No I meant should I do this card first or the ink bold one. Which will give me more airplane tickets?

Do this one first. It should be easy to hit the spending requirement. The Ink Bold can be a more of a long term card, where you can slowly compile a lot of points.

airtran doesnt fly many places, be sure they fly someplace (or many places) you want to fly.

That said, i love my southwest card, and this is identical or better it seems.

airtran doesnt fly many places, be sure they fly someplace (or many places) you want to fly.

That said, i love my southwest card, and this is identical or better it seems.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I can get to Atlanta and then to North Carolina, those are the main places I would probably fly on that airline.

Wait, can I transfer those miles to Southwest miles? Or are those other things they are talking about converting?

Edit: Nevermind, confirmed for myself I can.

Last edited:
I saw a big Bluebird card display at Walmart last week.

Any advice on a USAir type deal? Thats the only airline we real take anywhere here. Delta is always twice as much money. United sends us on USAir anyways for more money.

I've never seen a good signup bonus for USAir. Delta has some good ones occasionally with Amex. I've got 51k miles with Delta right now, but never fly them. :(