aromatherapy, anyone?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
"spange hates this stuff," i thought, as i put a new air freshener in the bathroom. this got me wondering if it's a man thing or an individual thing.

i like the faint smell of good things. i don't like to taste smells, but i like when i notice it long enough to even wonder if the fragrance is there or not.

what about y'all? in homes? on your body (soaps or colognes?) in a massage? behind the bedroom doors? in the stores where you shop?

I wonder if Fels-Naptha is considered aroma-ific...

House smells like fresh air, consequence of leaving windows open almost year round.

It is a known fact that big hotels have spent tons of money developing a specific scent to create a personal feeling when you stay with them. Studies show that it causes people to want to return to their hotels. They also went to great lengths to ensure that they created a universal scent that was totally hypoallergenic. I think Omni hotels use faint lavender scents in rooms for relaxation and they use a faint jasmine scent in lobbys and bar areas to stimulate the senses/emotions.

So if they spent this much money on it then it must be worth something...

Example: http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/leisuretrav/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002726460

Recently I read somewhere that the scented sprays, candles and air fresheners have caused an increase in cancers, allergies, and asthma. I don't believe everything I read, but the idea kinda turned me off to these things. Now I only use sprays when it's absolutely necessary, and the only scent I really like that doesn't give me a headache is vanilla.

eileenbunny said:
Recently I read somewhere that the scented sprays, candles and air fresheners have caused an increase in cancers, allergies, and asthma. I don't believe everything I read, but the idea kinda turned me off to these things. Now I only use sprays when it's absolutely necessary, and the only scent I really like that doesn't give me a headache is vanilla.
Dude, they smell toxic. Have you ever got a strong whiff of febreeze? Stick with inscense if you need a smell gone. Or plant lillac bushes ~.^

I stayed at a hotel in San Antonio and they provided lavender linen spray. I thought that was interesting. I like clean smells.

No, dear your farts are not clean smelling!!

Smelly stuff is fine so long as I can't taste it when I walk into a room. Cologne is a no go, and the perfume section in stores almost kill me. :confused:

FlamingGlory said:
I wonder if Fels-Naptha is considered aroma-ific...

House smells like fresh air, consequence of leaving windows open almost year round.

I prefer lacquer thinner to naphtha

ERage said:
It is a known fact that big hotels have spent tons of money developing a specific scent to create a personal feeling when you stay with them.

The small ones I worked at were not so innovative. They did have particular cleaning agents and fresheners supposedly scented neutral, but I never found them appealing. I do remember a particular incident at a friend's apartment years ago where hotel smoke-odor neutralizing spray was used to effectively mask the smell of a certain something burning when a certain someone came knocking from a noise complaint.

I really like using matches in a bathroom. All the perfumes give me a headache.

ceiling fly said:
I realized that long after I posted my comment. :fly:
Lye + Animal Fat + Terpene

It's laundry soap. If you ever get something washed professionally that kinda musky clean smell it comes back with is Fels-Naptha.