Are You Taller Than a 5th Grader?

upon perusing the scientific classification section of wikipedia i've discovered that i was massively misled by my teachers. my bad.

1173906810.png

the worst part about that wikipedia thing is that I've not only done it but I've also done it on memory alpha and the battlestar wiki :(

Boo!

The first one was amusing at least. It would appear that your teh intarweb is serios > your funney in this case.

Bad show, sir.
I wasnt trying to be funny. :p The problem with wikipedia is _people_. Institutional bias I might even go so far to say, it is impossible to write any thorough article completely NPOV. I'm not saying you have to push an agenda but someone will always take exception to anything. I dont get involved because it pisses me off just watching from the sidelines.

A good example is like after 300 came out, people went crazy editing the Thermopylae article. Including a large contingent of middle easterners who wanted it locked/deleted (banned for all intents and purposes on wikimedia software).

the worst part about that wikipedia thing is that I've not only done it but I've also done it on memory alpha and the battlestar wiki :(
Eh, I did the same thing as a kid. The encyclopaedia britannica has these two index volumes. If you were as book crazy as me: each article had a ton of "See" references, you look them up in the index and they were essentially linked lists of "see" topics that told you what page in what volume. We only still do have the 1989 edition <3

I'm gonna have to go with no on this lol. They store air in their cloaca (which is filled with papilla (sp), which is how they stay underwater for so long. ;)

Then explain soft shell turtles with fins for feet Ms. Smartypants!!

:heart:

A good example is like after 300 came out, people went crazy editing the Thermopylae article. Including a large contingent of middle easterners who wanted it locked/deleted (banned for all intents and purposes on wikimedia software).

You mean they weren't busy trying to download pics of Gerard Butler?

Infidels!!!

Then explain soft shell turtles with fins for feet Ms. Smartypants!!

:heart:

They still have lungs and breathe air. They have the same organ and use it the same way. A turtle can fill that organ with air, bury itself in the mud, and hibernate for weeks .. without resurfacing. Turtles (of any variety), do not have gills.

I don't like to try and prove something without factual evidence. I also do not use Wiki, because people who like to be right edit it to try and prove their argument (falsly). So Wiki holds water about as well as my cupped hands. lol

Turtles, like all reptiles, have LUNGS! They have to
breathe air. They must come to the surface to breathe.
They can go anything from a few seconds to several
hours (when they sleep) to several weeks (when they
hibernate in winter) without extra air.
http://www.turtlecare.net/breath.htm

Squamates and turtles retain a similar system to amphibians. For the turtles, the ability to shunt off the lungs is good for diving. In lizards and snakes, such a difference is not as easy to explain, but both often remain motionless and even halt breathing. There are also pockets in the heart and semidistinct chambers that keep blood flow separate to a degree of 60-90%. All reptiles, birds, and mammals have a conus arteriosus as embryos, but it is lost as adults. Figure from Kardong, 1998.
http://www.auburn.edu/academic/classes/zy/0301/Topic12/Topic12.html#squamates and turt

All reptiles, even aquatic species, breathe through lungs. The serpentlike eel may look like a reptile, but it is classified as a fish because it breathes through gills instead of lungs. In most snakes and some lizards only one lung is functional; in crocodiles and other reptiles both lungs are equally developed. The thorax and abdomen in reptiles are not separated by a diaphragm, and breathing is accomplished by muscles of the body wall. The reptilian heart generally consists of three chambers, two auricles and one ventricle, in contrast to the mammalian heart, which has two auricles and two ventricles.
http://www.history.com/encyclopedia.do?articleId=220536

As reptiles, green sea turtles, like all other species of sea turtles, possess the following traits:

They are cold-blooded, meaning that they get their body heat from the environment rather than making their own.
They breathe air
Their skin has scales

When active, sea turtles swim to the surface every few minutes in order to breathe.
http://www.earthtrust.org/wlcurric/turtles.html

Any more questions? :D

(I was going to be a vet before I discovered they put puppies/kittens that weren't sick to sleep. I couldn't do it. I switched my major the next day). :heart:

Last edited: