Are You into Plants?

CletusJones said:
I've got a banana tree. I water it every 4 - 5 days and leave it in the window. I get a western exposure so it gets sun all day. It's grown really well so far this summer actually, I think it just put out like 5 new leaves in the past month and a half.

Do you get bananas off of it?

kiwi said:
Do you get bananas off of it?
I get off on it...

Seriously though, it's supposed to eventually produce bananas. It's a dwarf tree though so it should only get like 6 or 7 feet tall. After it gets to its final height it should begin to flower. It grows pretty quick when it's warm and I remember to water it. It would be way bigger than it is now but I left it by my patio door and the cold air that leaks through it almost killed the thing over the winter. I've got it in a much better spot now and it's really taken off. I'll post pics tonight if anyone's interested.

CletusJones said:
I get off on it...

Seriously though, it's supposed to eventually produce bananas. It's a dwarf tree though so it should only get like 6 or 7 feet tall. After it gets to its final height it should begin to flower. It grows pretty quick when it's warm and I remember to water it. It would be way bigger than it is now but I left it by my patio door and the cold air that leaks through it almost killed the thing over the winter. I've got it in a much better spot now and it's really taken off. I'll post pics tonight if anyone's interested.

I would be, I want tropical plants in my house that are easy to keep alive.

kiwi said:
I would be, I want tropical plants in my house that are easy to keep alive.
I basically got it because it's big and leafy. I need that photosynthesis to convert all the smoke back into oxygen. I'll take a pic for you tonight.

And trust me it's easy to keep alive. If it wasn't, I'd have killed it by now.

CletusJones said:
I've got a banana tree. I water it every 4 - 5 days and leave it in the window. I get a western exposure so it gets sun all day. It's grown really well so far this summer actually, I think it just put out like 5 new leaves in the past month and a half.
Now that would be cool. Does it need a lot of sun, or would just morning sun do?

fly said:
Now that would be cool. Does it need a lot of sun, or would just morning sun do?
It was like $12 shipped. Mine didn't look like the pic though, it was very small and kinda sickly looking. Once I watered it and fertilized it, it started growing almost instantly. I've noticed that if I keep it watered and in a lot of sun, it'll grow a new leaf almost weekly.
http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productID=3682&collection=0

I don't think it would need a lot of sun to survive, but I did notice that the more sun it gets the faster it seems to grow. It managed to do pretty well in my place all winter, with the blinds mostly closed. I did read that they require soil that has good drainage.

CletusJones said:
It was like $12 shipped. Mine didn't look like the pic though, it was very small and kinda sickly looking. Once I watered it and fertilized it, it started growing almost instantly. I've noticed that if I keep it watered and in a lot of sun, it'll grow a new leaf almost weekly.

I don't think it would need a lot of sun to survive, but I did notice that the more sun it gets the faster it seems to grow. It managed to do pretty well in my place all winter, with the blinds mostly closed. I did read that they require soil that has good drainage.

Thats a good deal. All the sudden I'm into plants, so I may pick one of these up too.

Eek.

CletusJones said:

hay thats pretty cool, I may have to get one

April23 said:
Thats a good deal. All the sudden I'm into plants, so I may pick one of these up too.

Eek.

I need one too, we'll have to check in with each other daily to see if we remember to take care of our plants and maybe we can keep them alive.

kiwi said:
I need one too, we'll have to check in with each other daily to see if we remember to take care of our plants and maybe we can keep them alive.

OMG if we ring each other every day and PM back and forth... I still will forget. =(