Are you afraid of dying?

shawndavid said:
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence...kekeke

Is 'logical fallacy' not an oxymoron of sorts?
No... It's a false conclusion based on unsound logic. Your deconstructionist arguments hold no water.

I've been living on borrowed time since I was 15.

I'm concerned that the method of my death will be painful. I'm worry about not being here for the people I love. It'll be a shame to miss out on humanity's future advancements and accomplishments...but I don't pay much mind to what'll happen when I die. It's impossible for me to know until it happens so why bother fretting?

I'm a good little Catholic though, I'd like a proper funeral. Arlington would be nice.

FlamingGlory said:
No... It's a false conclusion based on unsound logic. Your deconstructionist arguments hold no water.

Deconstructionist...jesus...yes, I am a sieve.

Logical fallacy...did you just take an ethics course or something? I'm waiting for you to utilize Little Caesar or Geoffrey the Giraffe in straw man fashion.

Maybe dangle a red herring in your well-calloused fingertips...

shawndavid said:
Deconstructionist...jesus...yes, I am a sieve.

Logical fallacy...did you just take an ethics course or something? I'm waiting for you to utilize Little Caesar or Geoffrey the Giraffe in straw man fashion.

Maybe dangle a red herring in your well-calloused fingertips...
^.^

Half my HS theology classes were about philosophy. Specifically postmodernism and communism.

Ryokurin said:
actually the realization that there is more than likely absolutely nothing after death is conforting to me.
We are making statements of absolute fact now? Wow.

I'm terrified and excited to die all at the same time. I'm afraid because I wonder if some religious people are right and I'm going to hell, or being reincarnated as a flea, or doomed to roam some boring purgatory type place. I'm excited because I get to find out what really happens after death. The last great mystery revealed.

Fat Burger said:
If I'm right, I go to heaven. If I'm wrong, then there's either nothing or I'm reincarnated. Neither of the three is necessarily bad, so why would I be afraid?

What if you're right and you go to hell?

I'm ready to die. But never will.
At least thats what they tell me.

Sarcasmo said:
What if you're right and you go to hell?
I think the whole "Jesus as his savior" coveres that (if of course we are right... which I believe we are ;) )

I don't fear death. I've NEVER feared death. I hold traditional Christian views on Heaven and Hell.

I do however fear (and tragically think about often) is how I will die. I'm terrified that I'll die in a fire, murder, plane crash, drowning etc... It also scares me to leave my family etc.

Fatburger and I decided that we are going to die at the same time- peacefully... or having sex. Hopefully in some kinky sex position- one final way to scar our children :lol:

shawndavid said:
elpmis,
Every time I think of death it's kind of like looking into corresponding mirrors from an angle into eternity. There's a place along the Weeki Wachee River here called Hospital Hole. The river is spring fed and only 20 or so feet deep at most in some spots so you can see the bottom clearly. Hospital Hole is about 50-75 feet in diameter and sits on the outside of a wide bend in the river. It's like 150 or so feet deep with a sulfur level around 75 feet I think. Anyway, going from swimming or canoeing over a shallow, light-bottomed river to hovering above that plunge into the deep, dark spring is a little overwhelming - you get a bit vertigo out of it. That's how I feel when I think about death. It's not so much the thought of dying, but more the consideration of eternity after that. My feeble mind can't contain the infinity.

Hey Zac & Ape - Wanna head up there one weekend? It's cool - we can rent the little, powered john boats and go snorkeling...maybe eat some acid:fly:

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence...kekeke

Is 'logical fallacy' not an oxymoron of sorts?
Hospital Hole sounds cool

edit: at VMI there was a 70 foot tall 85 degree hill on a running trail that people called "Hospital Hill", because after you ran up it you were ready for the hospital :fly:

Last edited:
I'm selfish and egotistical enough to want to be around. I like living, it is fun. Plus, it might hurt.

FlamingGlory said:
So you deny that you exist? Good job.

Is there an absence of evidence that I exist? Is there an absence of evidence that God exists? No and yes, respectively.

But to further explore those semantics, If you can tell me that because I can't prove that something you can't see or hear or touch doesn't exist that it actually DOES exist, then yes, I can tell you that something you CAN see or hear or touch doesn't exist when it does in fact actually exist. It makes just as much sense.

Last edited:
actually I'm kind of tired of living.then again I know that I'm coming back and starting all over again. so I might as well get all he mileage out on this one.

Onnotangu said:
actually I'm kind of tired of living.then again I know that I'm coming back and starting all over again. so I might as well get all he mileage out on this one.

so how have you come to the conclusion that you're coming back? can you be thorough? i'm interested in the theory. :)

Sarcasmo said:
Is there an absence of evidence that I exist? Is there an absence of evidence that God exists? No and yes, respectively.

But to further explore those semantics, If you can tell me that because I can't prove that something you can't see or hear or touch doesn't exist that it actually DOES exist, then yes, I can tell you that something you CAN see or hear or touch doesn't exist when it does in fact actually exist. It makes just as much sense.
Let's start this again.

1) You said there is no "truth" to existence, i.e. everything is meaningless. Or to put it another way 'the meaning of everything is without meaning'.
2) I said that to accept the Truth of existence as the abscence of a Truth [of existence] is a fallacy because by accepting your Truth you have admitted there is a Truth.
3) It is a classic liar's paradox, i.e. 'This statement is not true.'
4) Since we arent using paraconsistent logic here it is inherently false.