Are you afraid of dying?

simple

Giant Member
Sep 30, 2004
^_^
Marklar
₥5
Whether your outlook of the afterlife (or lack thereof) is influenced by religion, science, chosen ignorance of the subject, another’s logical explanation, or your own, are you afraid to die, and why?

I think I still have the mentality of a typical 18 year old in that regard...I'm going to live forever and I never give it a second thought :fly:

why_ask_why said:
I think I still have the mentality of a typical 18 year old in that regard...I'm going to live forever and I never give it a second thought :fly:
and I think most do

the thought of leaving loved ones behind as far as human terms makes me upset, but i choose to believe that i'll get to watch them grow and learn. the only thing that worries me is that i'm wrong, but it won't matter by the time i know that or not.

the one thing i know is that i'll have peace, and the sound of that makes death ok.

I don't believe in life after death, so really the only thing I'm afraid of is never getting to see my son again. There will come a point when he and I will be separated from each other forever, and the totality of that is overwhelming and terrible. I'm not afraid of death, I'm afraid of losing what I hold most dear.

i choose not to think that way. it may be terribly wrong, but i can't bear the thought of being separated from my daughter. so i believe it won't happen.

what are your thoughts, elpie?

sarcasmo, if you don't believe in life after death, then what do you believe? and why don't you believe in life after death? any particular reason? i'm just curious here. not trying to pick.

Thorn Bird said:
i choose not to think that way. it may be terribly wrong, but i can't bear the thought of being separated from my daughter. so i believe it won't happen.

what are your thoughts, elpie?
I think about it a lot, and it usually brings me to a migraine

Thorn Bird said:
why is that? and you don't have to participate, you know. :)
It's in the main forum so I can just reply without thinking. You should also learn to quote. :p

Thorn Bird said:
sarcasmo, if you don't believe in life after death, then what do you believe? and why don't you believe in life after death? any particular reason? i'm just curious here. not trying to pick.

I just don't. It doesn't make sense to me. I see no evidence anywhere of the supernatural or the divine. I look at people, where we've come from over thousands of years of learning and progressing, succeeding and failing, I see what happens to us on a daily basis, from brutal murders to war and natural disasters and more mundane accidents, I see these all of these things afflicting the faithful and the faithless, the guilty and the innocent, the old and the young. It's all the same, no matter what we believe or who we are. And all it indicates to me is that the world is a floating mass of rock in a huge universe where life happened to blossom, and where the chaos of random circumstance and coincidence dish out our fates without any discrimination whatsoever.

Sarcasmo said:
I just don't. It doesn't make sense to me. I see no evidence anywhere of the supernatural or the divine. I look at people, where we've come from over thousands of years of learning and progressing, succeeding and failing, I see what happens to us on a daily basis, from brutal murders to war and natural disasters and more mundane accidents, I see these all of these things afflicting the faithful and the faithless, the guilty and the innocent, the old and the young. It's all the same, no matter what we believe or who we are. And all it indicates to me is that the world is a floating mass of rock in a huge universe where life happened to blossom, and where the chaos of random circumstance and coincidence dish out our fates without any discrimination whatsoever.

so what's the point of a soul, in your eyes?

elpmis said:
I think about it a lot, and it usually brings me to a migraine

so what kinds of things are you thinking about, and why do you think so much about it? are you worried about it?

also, do you think your perception changes when you are terminally ill? and do you think what happens to each person is different, depending on their outlook of things?