Thread Are there modern protest songs?

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,810
Steam
asastang
I was talking with Dad earlier today, he was wondering why there were no longer any protest songs out there in rock and country. I could think of dozens in rap, and another dozen from Bush Jr's administration and earlier (S.O.A.D., R.A.T.M., etc,) but I wasn't able to think of any from within the past three four years.

It might be because I've been listening to less and less radio in recent years, but I'm not sure.
You guys have any to suggest? Bonus points if its been on Billboard or some other chart in the past five years

I was talking with Dad earlier today, he was wondering why there were no longer any protest songs out there in rock and country. I could think of dozens in rap, and another dozen from Bush Jr's administration and earlier (S.O.A.D., R.A.T.M., etc,) but I wasn't able to think of any from within the past three four years.

It might be because I've been listening to less and less radio in recent years, but I'm not sure.
You guys have any to suggest? Bonus points if its been on Billboard or some other chart in the past five years
I can't even think of a modern popular rock song, protest or otherwise. Unless alternative rock, pop, and indie rock counts. Closest I can think of is Taylor Swift's You Need To Calm Down. That's pop but I would technically classify it as rock because pop isn't really a genre.

I don't listen to the radio much though. I'm usually listening to insteumental songs featuring folk instruments or pagan chanting.

unclear as to specific parameters for "protest song" but if we are talking political content,
seconding punk & rap/hip hop

anti flag is easy mode, but the album American Fall came out in 2017, 20/20 Vision came out this year, all politicial

RTJ4 just dropped like days ago, theres definitely relevant songs on there, walking in the snow seems at first blush to be most relevant to current events

Maybe rock just isn't relevant any more. Also. country is now all about soundalike singers with very little grit. The days of Outlaw country are gone. This is the biggest 'protest' song in years I would think.

Alt-country is where it's at these days.

also protest songs arent "safe" anymore so I doubt any big-label-radio-friendly-music-units would ever make any for fear of offending someone
this is the thing - people & bands are making them, but you're not likely to hear them on the radio. in their time, Pete & Phil & Bob & Woodie were not radio material.

• Gravy
Reactions: Frau Blugher
also protest songs arent "safe" anymore so I doubt any big-label-radio-friendly-music-units would ever make any for fear of offending someone
This.

Body Count - Cop Killer was the last "publicly heard" protest song, IMO. And that went over real good.

Record companies aren't gonna want to pay to recall albums again, or to fight lawsuits because some dumbshit quoted lyrics in their manifesto or some shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh