Ontopic Are politicians and the public completely void of morals?

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,113
Okay this is English politics so I'll give a bit of background:

We have spent years making a bid for the soccer World Cup in 2018. The vote for which country would host it was on Thursday (yesterday). On Tuesday the BBC aired an investigative journalism special program about how corrupt the officials voting were (taking bribes in the millions etc). I'm now sat watching a show where a panel of 5 politicians and an audience are discussing whether the BBC should have held the scheduling for the program back to help us win our bid. (We lost by the way)

I'm pretty dumbfounded because I've been sat here for 10 minutes and not one person has said 'of course they should have aired it, do we really want to win a competition from a corrupt and immoral organisation' which was my first thought on hearing the debate question.

People either seem to be neutral and say 'let the BBC do what it wants' or 'they should have aired it next week after the vote'.

WTF?

I don't know about soccer, but I'm positive the same corruption goes on for the olympics, like plot said. I've seen a lot of discussion about it on TV. I think it's disgusting practice and I think many rich people need to stop being so damned selfish. However, of all the issues about political corruption we are facing, I think the issue of where a sport is played is pretty low on the list. How about the fact that in 99.9% of the cases, the guy with the most money wins the election. All you have to do is a google search of the term political corruption to see that it is a serious problem and it is sickening. The wiki article about the topic in the US is friggin ginormous (huh, I wonder if there is a better way to spell that made up word...I don't like the way it looks, but it sounds cool). The problem is, I have no idea what to do about it. I think that using the internet could help since it's a cheap way to get the word out about issues and good people, however it's still tough to get people to trust you. I don't know. It's sad. Sorry you didn't get the football match.

Should have aired it months ago when the issue (if one exists) could have been addressed. Same issues go on in the olympics.

Reportedly the program was only finished on Monday so that's why it aired on Tuesday. When they did a similar program about the olympic committee (a bid we won it was aired 15 months before the vote because that program was all finished.

I don't know about soccer, but I'm positive the same corruption goes on for the olympics, like plot said. I've seen a lot of discussion about it on TV. I think it's disgusting practice and I think many rich people need to stop being so damned selfish. However, of all the issues about political corruption we are facing, I think the issue of where a sport is played is pretty low on the list. How about the fact that in 99.9% of the cases, the guy with the most money wins the election. All you have to do is a google search of the term political corruption to see that it is a serious problem and it is sickening. The wiki article about the topic in the US is friggin ginormous (huh, I wonder if there is a better way to spell that made up word...I don't like the way it looks, but it sounds cool). The problem is, I have no idea what to do about it. I think that using the internet could help since it's a cheap way to get the word out about issues and good people, however it's still tough to get people to trust you. I don't know. It's sad. Sorry you didn't get the football match.

I'd rather we didn't get the football matches if it meant dealing with another corrupt system, of which there are too many. I think the moral highground should always be taken instead of just trying to chase tourist money. It's bullshit.

As for the olympics yes they are/were corrupt, which is something they also spoke about on this program but apparently since it was exposed in an expose (and I'm sure various other things) they have cleaned up quite a lot. Apparently.

I'd rather we didn't get the football matches if it meant dealing with another corrupt system, of which there are too many. I think the moral highground should always be taken instead of just trying to chase tourist money. It's bullshit.

As for the olympics yes they are/were corrupt, which is something they also spoke about on this program but apparently since it was exposed in an expose (and I'm sure various other things) they have cleaned up quite a lot. Apparently.

While your ideas of morals in politics is great, politicians (and most people) don't care. Evolution has forced us to be better than anyone else at all cost.

While your ideas of morals in politics is great, politicians (and most people) don't care. Evolution has forced us to be better than anyone else at all cost.

It's a bit hypocritical tbh, not that I expect any better. Last week on the program they were saying the Brits should not be involved in torture at any cost because we're a fair and just society with morals etc. etc. but when it comes to having something like football we'll compromise ethics.

That's because football has a higher value than human life. When's the last time you actualy cheered for humanity? Exactly.

Should have aired it months ago when the issue (if one exists) could have been addressed. Same issues go on in the olympics.

When Utah got the winter Olympics years ago there was all kinds of wining, dining, and bribing going on.

I think the moral highground should always be taken instead of just trying to chase tourist money. It's bullshit.

remember that no one has to agree on your definition of the moral high ground

Considering that the issue of sports itself is unimportant and thus who cares if these things are chosen via pocket padding, one could argue that it's far more immoral to not take the opportunity to help your own citizens with an influx of that tourist money. Corruption only matters when it's in an arena that matters. Hell, there's no reason the World Cup shouldn't be chosen by which country can fork over the most cash. FIFA a private organization, it can decide how to choose host cities however it wants.

Now when corruption extends to public officials taking cash, then it's something worth worrying about. Otherwise, who gives a fuck?

well fuck, I don't mean to argue with you again just for the hell of it

but

this train ride is going to last at least another 45 minutes