Are my harddrives cursed!?

I

I Robert I

This is starting to really fucking piss me off. So far I've lost 4-5 (can't even remember) drives and just now I heard a *kahklunk!* and then the computer hard locked. It's going now again but I'm suspecting it wont be for too long.

Am I the only one who goes through harddrives like fucking crazy?

What brand are you using?

It's been my personal experience that Western Digital Drives seem to be the best for IDE drives and Seagate for SCSI.

Maxtor seems to hold it's own sometimes but tends to come and go in waves that I've seen.

My building, which is stocked by a company that starts with "D" and ends with "ell", seems to have at least one drive crash a week these days. It's been...annoying, to say the least; not because the drive fails, but because the user whines and complains about lost data that they neglected to put up to a network drive.

I've lost IBM's (the famous Deathstar) and WD's, not sure if I've lost a Seagate yet, don't think so.

Yeah, it's not so much the drive but the data on it. I really can't back everything up since it takes up too much space. Really critical stuff like pictures are of course spread out over two or more drives and the occasional CD.

If it wasn't so damn expensive and time consuming I'd go and build a proper fileserver running RAID5 or whatever so I wouldn't have to worry about loss of data.

:(

Sorry to hear that bub...... I've got a Maxtor and a Seagate in my computer; both of 'em have been chugging along for 3 years now with pretty heavy use, no problems whatsoever.

KNYTE said:
My building, which is stocked by a company that starts with "D" and ends with "ell", seems to have at least one drive crash a week these days. It's been...annoying, to say the least; not because the drive fails, but because the user whines and complains about lost data that they neglected to put up to a network drive.

Until the more recent Dells came out, they used to have IBM Hard Drives in them.

It doesnt depend on the brand as much as how much they've been dropped before you buy them.

I bought my drives when I worked at Staples, took them out of the box and put them somewhere safe. They are Maxtors but have been going with hard use for over 2 years.

We'd drop them off 10ft ladders etc. There use to be a stack of drives that were labeled "Reccomend replacement plan". ^__^