FYI April is out running her half marathon, watch live and cheer her on

Ape signed up last year. At the time it was only $35. Some other friends of ours signed up late for just the 10k and paid $90. We ran a 5k last year run by this same woman and it was all the same shit. Gun time, shitty signage, useless volunteers, etc.

Lesson learned.
There are certain race companies that I will never give money to ever again, for these same reasons. There is nothing worse than being ill-prepared and expecting people to just roll with it, even when it puts them in danger.

Christ what a shit show, I'm sorry. But you slugged it out and finished, which is baller.

My friends ran the marathon in Savannah this morning. Apparently within minutes of the sun coming out people stopped like flies. They black flagged the course when she was at mile 21.5. I'm glad they were safe, but gah this was not a good weekend for races ;/
Ape basically stopped after seeing all the ambulances. And the fact that the water stations were empty meant there was no way to push.

We had two friends that did Savannah this morning as well. And another couple that did the relay half.

They had it at the finish line, but when you need it the most during the last fourish miles, they didn't have it.

I pulled off and found a water fountain near a bathroom. Omg so dangerous. Those poor people.
I'm glad you're OK. You'd think that there'd be enough backlash that no one would allow this broad put any more events together!

& congrats on the 1/2. that's an accomplishment on it's own!

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots and APRIL
Christ what a shit show, I'm sorry. But you slugged it out and finished, which is baller.

My friends ran the marathon in Savannah this morning. Apparently within minutes of the sun coming out people stopped like flies. They black flagged the course when she was at mile 21.5. I'm glad they were safe, but gah this was not a good weekend for races ;/

Yes, our friends are there too! A guy died during it... Omfg he was 35.

http://m.wtoc.com/wtoc/db_350145/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=Bigobcd4

• Gravy
Reactions: APRIL and august
Yeah, it's awful. My friends reported multiple cases of people receiving cpr (one at mile 9.5, geez) and the medivac helicopter was busy.

Know what's more important than racing through the heat? Being able to race again another day. Glad you played it safe out there.
Agreed. Sometimes competition can make a person dumb and put it before their own life. :hs:

Agreed. Sometimes competition can make a person dumb and put it before their own life. :hs:
The deal with Savannah (like a few courses in Florida too, like Space Coast) is that it's touted as a prime BQ course. People spend their entire lives training for the chance to qualify for Boston. And I sadly know many that let that obsession get the best of them (training through injury, bailing on "slow" pace races, etc). But this heatwave thing? Fuuuu, not worth the risk.

The deal with Savannah (like a few courses in Florida too, like Space Coast) is that it's touted as a prime BQ course. People spend their entire lives training for the chance to qualify for Boston. And I sadly know many that let that obsession get the best of them (training through injury, bailing on "slow" pace races, etc). But this heatwave thing? Fuuuu, not worth the risk.
That's why I'm glad the Columbus Marathon is in October because one of my friends uses it to qualify for the Boston marathon.

It's brutal running when it's too hot. I ran the Comrades Marathon in South Africa once, a 55 mile race. The weather peaked at 36C but there were aid stations roughly every mile. I also ran in a 24 hour race on the hottest day in history here and got heat stroke. I barely remember the last few hours of that race.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
It's brutal running when it's too hot. I ran the Comrades Marathon in South Africa once, a 55 mile race. The weather peaked at 36C but there were aid stations roughly every mile. I also ran in a 24 hour race on the hottest day in history here and got heat stroke. I barely remember the last few hours of that race.
Grandpa DJBrenton with his stories from precivilaztion days.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony