Apparently Iphone users hate poor people

The fact that Young Adult is what is considered accessible to your average reader is probably something worth making a point about.

Well that isn't always the case, but it is my opinion that it is in this case. There's a lot of very well received and popular books that are written for adults that are also accessible to the general public. Your observation of people here isn't necessarily a good one. Plus, most people read for fun. If a book is too difficult or too dry I'm certainly not going to bother. It's why I have trouble with stuff like Wells and Verne. It's not stuff I enjoy reading. I know the stories are good, but it's like work getting there. I don't feel like it. Another great example, A Clockwork Orange. That book was too much work. I had to learn way too much to be bothered with it. I managed but when I was done it wasn't satisfying, it was relieving. For something that's supposed to be fun I shouldn't be relieved to be done with it. I think a lot of very smart people feel this way when they are just trying to relax.

Well that isn't always the case, but it is my opinion that it is in this case. There's a lot of very well received and popular books that are written for adults that are also accessible to the general public. Your observation of people here isn't necessarily a good one. Plus, most people read for fun. If a book is too difficult or too dry I'm certainly not going to bother. It's why I have trouble with stuff like Wells and Verne. It's not stuff I enjoy reading. I know the stories are good, but it's like work getting there. I don't feel like it. Another great example, A Clockwork Orange. That book was too much work. I had to learn way too much to be bothered with it. I managed but when I was done it wasn't satisfying, it was relieving. For something that's supposed to be fun I shouldn't be relieved to be done with it. I think a lot of very smart people feel this way when they are just trying to relax.

Indeed, literary snobbery is so misplaced. Not everyone reads to assimilate information. I usually rotate a more 'worthy' (lol) book with a pop fiction trash so I'll read an easy Patricia Cornwell and then go on to a classic to break it up. I enjoy reading older, 'harder' books but not constantly, reading isn't always about taxing your brain. Conversely though the more you challenge yourself and read books that need a lot of attention the easier they get, the first couple of Dickens books I read were really taxing but now I can read them just as quickly as any modern fiction. In fact one of my upcoming modules looks at literary snobbery and what is deemed 'worthy' by critics, so that will be quite interesting. DJB often says a Jeffrey Archer book is just as worthy as something by Umberto Eco or anybody else, because they both perform their functions well. If your intent is to create easy, exciting reading and you manage that then you're just as accomplished as somebody who writes a prize winning book, which is why I hold Marian Keyes in the same esteem as any of the greats. She spins a great, enjoyable yarn (btw if you're not familiar with her books I'd really recommend them - the best was The Brightest Star In The Sky imo)

I replied to this I thought yesterday?

Wells and Verve suck because they were shit authors. They just happened to write some of the first sci fi books. These days they would be criticized for lack of character development, flat dialogue etc. Clockwork Orange isn't actually that complicated, it's just how the story is delivered that most people cant get over. All the words the narrator uses are basic basic russian. I already knew most of them so it really wasnt that hard. The movie has to be one of Kubrick's most bleh efforts though, enjoyed the book far more.

Everything you've named as "hard" isn't "hard." Most books that are hard, are actually just crappy. The converse isn't true though, i.e. a lot of what you are saying is "accessible", which is a weasel word if I ever saw one, actually are trash.

Wells and Verve suck because they were shit authors. They just happened to write some of the first sci fi books. These days they would be criticized for lack of character development, flat dialogue etc. Clockwork Orange isn't actually that complicated, it's just how the story is delivered that most people cant get over. All the words the narrator uses are basic basic russian. I already knew most of them so it really wasnt that hard. The movie has to be one of Kubrick's most bleh efforts though, enjoyed the book far more.

Everything you've named as "hard" isn't "hard." Most books that are hard, are actually just crappy. The converse isn't true though, i.e. a lot of what you are saying is "accessible", which is a weasel word if I ever saw one, actually are trash.

I guess one person's trash is another's treasure. I liked the movie A Clockwork Orange and so did a lot of other people. I don't speak Russian at all (except I bet their word for No is similar) so I can't imagine how I'd find that accessible. Regardless I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I wasn't saying it was "hard" at all, I said they were "work". It's not the same thing. I like my leisure time activities to be leisurely. You like to make sure everyone knows how smart you are. I'm smart but I've spent much of my life aspiring to be average. Being smart isn't important unless you intend to do something important with it. Sitting around reading challenging books doesn't really qualify in my mind. I'd rather not have people expect so much of me.

I guess one person's trash is another's treasure. I liked the movie A Clockwork Orange and so did a lot of other people. I don't speak Russian at all (except I bet their word for No is similar) so I can't imagine how I'd find that accessible. Regardless I think you missed the point of what I was saying. I wasn't saying it was "hard" at all, I said they were "work". It's not the same thing. I like my leisure time activities to be leisurely. You like to make sure everyone knows how smart you are. I'm smart but I've spent much of my life aspiring to be average. Being smart isn't important unless you intend to do something important with it. Sitting around reading challenging books doesn't really qualify in my mind. I'd rather not have people expect so much of me.
Work is hard, otherwise it wouldn't be work.

Aspirations of mediocrity... That's not a goal, it's not trying. Also I never claimed to be smart.

Spoken like opinion is fact :lol:

Work is hard, otherwise it wouldn't be work.

Aspirations of mediocrity... That's not a goal, it's not trying. Also I never claimed to be smart.

Man, now I gotta argue with you about a word? Not all work is hard. I don't think something has to be hard for it to be considered work. I've had lots of jobs that were incredibly easy but I still said I was going to work every day because I was paid for my time. I had one job where I basically sat around all day and did crossword puzzles and other such paper/pencil games. Occasionally someone required me to write a proposal or do payroll or something. The phone rang and I answered it. It was work but it wasn't hard. It paid the bills. It was a required thing the business needed, but it sure wasn't hard.

And I don't think I have aspirations of mediocrity, I just think sometimes I like to read something fluffy or watch a chick flick or go out in a field and pick wildflowers or spend an afternoon staring at the clouds or sing songs or play with my baby or do a hundred other things that aren't hard just because I happen to enjoy them. Not everything needs to be in aspiration of anything. Sometimes I like to do things that are challenging but I don't require that of myself of anyone else all the time. Why not just enjoy stuff and move on?

Man, now I gotta argue with you about a word? Not all work is hard. I don't think something has to be hard for it to be considered work. I've had lots of jobs that were incredibly easy but I still said I was going to work every day because I was paid for my time. I had one job where I basically sat around all day and did crossword puzzles and other such paper/pencil games. Occasionally someone required me to write a proposal or do payroll or something. The phone rang and I answered it. It was work but it wasn't hard. It paid the bills. It was a required thing the business needed, but it sure wasn't hard.

And I don't think I have aspirations of mediocrity, I just think sometimes I like to read something fluffy or watch a chick flick or go out in a field and pick wildflowers or spend an afternoon staring at the clouds or sing songs or play with my baby or do a hundred other things that aren't hard just because I happen to enjoy them. Not everything needs to be in aspiration of anything. Sometimes I like to do things that are challenging but I don't require that of myself of anyone else all the time. Why not just enjoy stuff and move on?
I'm smart but I've spent much of my life aspiring to be average.
That is the definition of an aspiration of mediocrity, average, pedestrian, everyday, common.

You get paid to do a job, whether or not you do work at your job is the relative difficultly involved. House work is usually harder than having a job e.g.

That is the definition of an aspiration of mediocrity, average, pedestrian, everyday, common.

You get paid to do a job, whether or not you do work at your job is the relative difficultly involved. House work is usually harder than having a job e.g.

How many people get up every day and say "I'm going to my job" instead of "I'm going to work"?

Yeah, people say 'Oh I'm just going to my job now'

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

As for 'not speaking English'. Try and explain why the ENGLISH say 'going to work' then if we don't speak our own language. What a dumbass cop-out. :lol:
*whoosh*

Last edited: