Movie Anyone watching the Challenger movie?

I didn't watch the Challenger disaster, but it was all over the news/newspapers after it happened.

When I was in engineering school, Roger Boisjoly came and gave a lecture on the disaster - he was one of the engineers at the company that built the solid rocket boosters. The engineers knew about the problem and pushed management not to launch the shuttle in the cold, but were overruled by management. Terrible situation.

Hmmmm I should know this... I sorta remember 2003

maybe this will jog your memory
IKZq3V8.jpg

My dad was home from work that day which was an oddity. He kept me and my sisters home from school so we could watch it on tv with him. It was a shock.

I still remember some of the jokes. What color was Christa McAuliffe's eyes? Blue. One Blew left and one blew right.

I was in grade school so give me a break.

When the Columbia thing happened it was the weirdest day for me. I had just left Dan the day before. I was staying with a friend who thought that it was unimportant and didn't care. Then, the house next door to her suddenly exploded. It turned out to be a gas leak. It was just a strange day. I felt like I was living in some kind of terrible dream.

That is weird! I remember I was watching the re-entry before running errands that morning. I liked to catch launches and re-entries whenever possible (like we saw a launch on our honeymoon while eating dinner in FL). Anyway I intentionally watched that one since everyone was worried about the damage that went on at take off, and I was hoping for better results.

Afterwards I got in the car and I had a Josh Groban CD in with the song "To Where You Are" playing. I thought to myself "I bet they'll use this as a tribute to the people who died) Sure enough they did. Not near as crazy as yours, but still odd to me.

I think the Challenger explosion was far more well known in a way than the Columbia simply due to the fact that there was a teacher on board. Columbia explosion was not a surprise sadly and from what I understand they kind of knew the damage was too great as soon as they found out it happened. Kind of crappy IMO (though that is speculation but believable to me)

Last edited: