Anyone playing WoW?

It's just a different choice of pet besides the normal - Bear/Cat/Demon

*sigh* I need to get a laptop so I can sit out in the living room and play this stuff and not have JJ yell at me for being cooped up in the computer room all night.

Kabn said:
i played for a long time. until the people making it turned it into crap because they didn't have to worry about satisfying customers. people trying to make money from me have a vested interest in keeping me happy.

and six months ago, i was completely and 100% the same way about monthly fees. i mocked my friends who played DaoC, EQ, AC, and all the others for continuing to pay for the game.

then i started playing WoW. they could never cover their costs on servers and bandwidth with a one-time payment. and i'm too much of a capitalist to say they should give the game out for free. i've gotten past the point of moaning about the market screwing me a little. they exist to make money, and they made a bunch that first day. good for them.

i'm playing now, and the fun i'm having is worth $15 a month. that's two movies. or two meals. or half a night downtown. plus, i figure i owe the industry something since i don't pay for nearly any of my other games.

My issue then is that they should make the game free to download then charge the monthly service. Not both.

Coqui said:
My issue then is that they should make the game free to download then charge the monthly service. Not both.

That wouldn't work. Why would a company make a game and not want to actually make any money off of it. The monthly charges may make a small profit, but I would bet that most of that money goes to server costs and whatnot.

Just paying for the monthly fee would be like dell giving you a computer and saying that you just have to pay for the internet. Doesn't work, no initial profit.

bast_imret said:
*sigh* I need to get a laptop so I can sit out in the living room and play this stuff and not have JJ yell at me for being cooped up in the computer room all night.

Ummm...

Why isn't she in the kitchen? :fly:

Coqui said:
game price = development. which was lengthy and probably very expensive on this game, considering they had no prior release on which to build.

monthly fee = server maintenance

they have to make a profit somewhere.

Kabn said:
game price = development. which was lengthy and probably very expensive on this game, considering they had no prior release on which to build.

monthly fee = server maintenance

they have to make a profit somewhere.

no doubt.. if anyone saw how badass and detailed WoW is, they could understand.. I'm sure there are 1000s of man hours spent on textures alone.. 4GBs of content on the install..

I was just looking at some screenshots for this game , and I have to say, it kinda looks like ass.
Are the graphic standards for an mmorpg different than for an FPS?
But still, I would think a modern new game would look better than that.

Forrest Dump said:
I was just looking at some screenshots for this game , and I have to say, it kinda looks like ass.
Are the graphic standards for an mmorpg different than for an FPS?
But still, I would think a modern new game would look better than that.

EQ2 went with a cutting edge graphics engine that utilizes all the bells and whistles of the newest vidcards. Requires DX9. And unless you have the newest vidcards, will have more of a tendancy to have jerky framerates, though look great while doing it.

WoW went with a less bulky graphics engine, focusing on more stylized, artsy graphics and vivid colors, which allows a wider range of vid cards to be used to play the game effectively. This results in a smooth framerate almost constantly. Effectively made it playable by a larger crowd than EQ2.

Yaay! I got my copy. Now comes the ultimate question . . . what character do I pick! Gahh, I'm going to be debating this one for hours.

Aww, I wanted to play with mistar sweedish, but he's Horde. I have a feeling I'm going to be playing alliance if I want to be able to play with JJ later on. She doesn't like the nasty horde characters. :fly:

Last edited: