Anyone playing WoW?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Ayuh, which is why X-Box live isn't all that attractive to me either

The only thing I would get live for would be the game downloads, but I get most of that stuff from the disc in OXM.
As far as PC games go, theres like a bojillion of them I can play online for free if Im so inclined, paying a montly for a game that will get boring in 2 months is bullshit.

Coqui said:
Yep. You either pay for the game, or pay for the service. Not both. That's my belief.

Yessir.
If it was a free download and a monthly, I could bear it.
Or even the $40 with free online play would be acceptable.
But both?
Fuck that theyre just whoring for money now.

Forrest Dump said:
Yessir.
If it was a free download and a monthly, I could bear it.
Or even the $40 with free online play would be acceptable.
But both?
Fuck that theyre just whoring for money now.

Let me say first that I agree with you to a large extent.

At the same time though, isn't it a little understandable? Other non-updated, playable out of the box games only charge for the game itself. So Why would a game charge for monthly service? Well, Nearly all the game information is hosted on servers. All the information is updated semi-consistently and new content is always being worked on and provided. Makes sense to me that all of that costs money. Servers + developers + bandwidth + programmers for new stuff = Money not put into people's wallets.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Ayuh, which is why X-Box live isn't all that attractive to me either
At least live throws in some hardware and a game if you buy the package. I don't have a problem paying a small yearly fee to be able to play some xbox games online. Even though I hadn't played live for close to a year until Halo 2 came out.

SwedishChef said:

At the same time though, isn't it a little understandable? Other non-updated, playable out of the box games only charge for the game itself. So Why would a game charge for monthly service? Well, Nearly all the game information is hosted on servers. All the information is updated semi-consistently and new content is always being worked on and provided. Makes sense to me that all of that costs money. Servers + developers + bandwidth + programmers for new stuff = Money not put into people's wallets.
Then the game should be free...

ChikkenNoodul said:

$15 a month? crap, I figured it was only $10. But yea, I do agree with charging monthly for a game like this because of the massive server supprot and ongoing game development. However, if that's the case, then you shouldn't have to shell out $40-$50 to buy the game in teh first place.

Oh, and how much was the CE with the two free months? About the same as the regular + 2 months of service? If so, what kind of cool schwag did you get in the box?

SwedishChef said:

You've obviously never played Counter-Strike.

Forrest Dump said:
No kidding
Pay $40 for a game, then have to pay again montly to play it?
Fuck that.
when I really get into a game like this my otherwise monthly spendings on PS2 and GameCube games come to a complete hault - since I currently average a game a month (sometimes everyother month) I'll actually save money if I become completely addicted to WoW

Coqui said:

but counterstrike wasn't created and maintained by a company. It was made by fans, hosted by fans, and further developed by fans to a large extent. WoW and other MMORPG's on the other hand focus alot more on story line. The servers and bandwidth are provided by the company, and they have employees that continue to work on the game after release to create new events each week, month, year. Create new areas as players levels begin to outgrow the areas they are currently in. It's a much more involved process than Counterstrike.

elpmis said:
when I really get into a game like this my otherwise monthly spendings on PS2 and GameCube games come to a complete hault - since I currently average a game a month (sometimes everyother month) I'll actually save money if I become completely addicted to WoW

good point. And it scares me too, because I'm the same way, and what if I do play WoW and get addicted and then start missing out on all those other great games that are coming out :eek:

WoW would be great to have during a gaming drought like we had earlier this year. Spring and early summer, when all the companies are hording their great games for fall and holiday releases.

My lame ass connection at home prevents me from enjoying online gaming :( In a way I'm glad, because I just can't see paying for the privilege of gaming, no matter what the support level the company is providing. That's just me though.

Coqui said:
i played for a long time. until the people making it turned it into crap because they didn't have to worry about satisfying customers. people trying to make money from me have a vested interest in keeping me happy.

and six months ago, i was completely and 100% the same way about monthly fees. i mocked my friends who played DaoC, EQ, AC, and all the others for continuing to pay for the game.

then i started playing WoW. they could never cover their costs on servers and bandwidth with a one-time payment. and i'm too much of a capitalist to say they should give the game out for free. i've gotten past the point of moaning about the market screwing me a little. they exist to make money, and they made a bunch that first day. good for them.

i'm playing now, and the fun i'm having is worth $15 a month. that's two movies. or two meals. or half a night downtown. plus, i figure i owe the industry something since i don't pay for nearly any of my other games.

ChikkenNoodul said:

No. If the game was free, why bother spending the MILLIONS of dollars in research and stuff to make it in the first place, if all they are going to do is make a little money off the continuing customers. That's silly.

CE edition includes:
The full game on both CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
One-month subscription to World of Warcraft
The Art of World of Warcraft, 200+ page hardcover art book
World of Warcraft Behind-the-Scenes DVD
Exclusive in-game pet
Official soundtrack
Cloth map charting the continents of Kalimdor, Azeroth, Khaz Modan, and Lordaeron
Signed Collector's Edition game manual
10-Day Free Guest Pass

In addition to the 2 months free.

I pre-ordered for $10 and got it for $42 Well worth it in my opinion.

SwedishChef said:
No. If the game was free, why bother spending the MILLIONS of dollars in research and stuff to make it in the first place, if all they are going to do is make a little money off the continuing customers. That's silly.

CE edition includes:
The full game on both CD-ROM and DVD-ROM
One-month subscription to World of Warcraft
The Art of World of Warcraft, 200+ page hardcover art book
World of Warcraft Behind-the-Scenes DVD
Exclusive in-game pet
Official soundtrack
Cloth map charting the continents of Kalimdor, Azeroth, Khaz Modan, and Lordaeron
Signed Collector's Edition game manual
10-Day Free Guest Pass

In addition to the 2 months free.

I pre-ordered for $10 and got it for $42 Well worth it in my opinion.
Well what if you didn't want all the garbage and just wanted to play the game?

I'm sick to death of 'collector's edition this, and collector's edition that' that bullshit just takes up space.

ChikkenNoodul said:

I'm sick to death of 'collector's edition this, and collector's edition that' that bullshit just takes up space.

Generally I agree with you on this too. The extras just happened to be for something I wanted. A great game from a company that makes great games.

The regular set is $40 and gives you a month of free play. Seemed like justifable spending to me, especially since it was for essentially the same cost otherwise.

ChikkenNoodul said:

yea, but that actually comes with some usefull stuff.

What kind of pets are there?

SwedishChef said:
You get to choose between a Panda, a Mini-Diablo, and a Zergling.
They have Zerg in WoW? And pandas for that matter?