Halp Anyone here know exchange?

You should try EMC's product. Just like all their other products, its a giant hunk of shit.

had to use that about 5 years ago. ended up having an EMC rep come out, set it up, then we dumped it off on the customer. no idea how it's currently going, luckily we lost the service contract after the system was up and running.

create a personal folder for the majority of emails on a user machine, limit their public mailbox to 100mb so they constantly have to move shit over to their personal folders.

for automatically backing up the pst's on their local machine, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/

you can backup the pst's to a network drive, which is then also backed up... MS just doesn't recommend having local pst's on a network drive, they've got no issues with making backups to a network drive.

to be SOX compliant, exchange has to somehow save all emails that ever came through it's server somewhere anyways... not sure how that all works.

Last edited:
create a personal folder for the majority of emails on a user machine, limit their public mailbox to 100mb so they constantly have to move shit over to their personal folders.
I don't like this as a user. I do not have a work laptop (thank god), but I do need to access my emails from home from time-to-time so logging into the webaccess site I am able to see everything.

If it was stored on my machine I wouldn't be able to see anything... right?

for automatically backing up the pst's on their local machine, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238782/

you can backup the pst's to a network drive, which is then also backed up... MS just doesn't recommend having local pst's on a network drive, they've got no issues with making backups to a network drive.

to be SOX compliant, exchange has to somehow save all emails that ever came through it's server somewhere anyways... not sure how that all works.

Once you archive the files, they are permanently removed from the Exchange server. This is also the reason why archiving to a local machine is a bad idea. Unless the user needs to access their email remotely (i.e. a laptop not connecting to VPN), there's no reason why you'd put a pst locally. Because if a person's hard drive dies, so does their email.

I don't like this as a user. I do not have a work laptop (thank god), but I do need to access my emails from home from time-to-time so logging into the webaccess site I am able to see everything.

If it was stored on my machine I wouldn't be able to see anything... right?

You woudln't see what you archived correct. (unless you VPN in and remote into said machine)

However any archiving would result in the same situation if you just use webmail, as webmail is strictly what's on the server. So if they put mailbox restrictions on you, you either have to delete, or not use webmail.
Thankfully, my company doesn't do any of this. Everything is hosted on the server without archiving Yay!

SOX: hello symantec enterprise vault. hate it

we have 350mb mailboxes and that's when you get your first warning. we also allow 30mb attachments so you have to scale accordingly

Last edited:
Once you archive the files, they are permanently removed from the Exchange server. This is also the reason why archiving to a local machine is a bad idea. Unless the user needs to access their email remotely (i.e. a laptop not connecting to VPN), there's no reason why you'd put a pst locally. Because if a person's hard drive dies, so does their email.

the files are moved from the exchange server once you move them from your public folder to your PST on your local machine, which then using outlooks autobackup can be backed up to a network drive on a regularly basis......

however, if you're at a publicly traded company and have to comply with sarbanes oxley (the massive fallout of laws and regulations put in place after enron that has lead to trillions being thrown in the trash by companies trying to comply), even though you can no longer access your email once moved from your public folder, it's still saved somewhere and can be retrieved by your exchange geeks at your forensics geeks request.

Yeah I don't think he understood that your idea of PST files on a file server was put forth purely for solving the mailbox size issue.

however, if you're at a publicly traded company and have to comply with sarbanes oxley (the massive fallout of laws and regulations put in place after enron that has lead to trillions being thrown in the trash by companies trying to comply), even though you can no longer access your email once moved from your public folder, it's still saved somewhere and can be retrieved by your exchange geeks at your forensics geeks request.
According to Chikken (I think?), you have to have ALL email from the date of your oldest email through today. I think it was his company that only keeps emails for 3-6 months. EVERYTHING over that is deleted and employees aren't allowed to save emails locally, lest they be in violation of SOX.

According to Chikken (I think?), you have to have ALL email from the date of your oldest email through today. I think it was his company that only keeps emails for 3-6 months. EVERYTHING over that is deleted and employees aren't allowed to save emails locally, lest they be in violation of SOX.

Which if that's the case, for the most part, archiving (even to a server) wouldn't be necessary.