anyone here know about termites?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
or termite treatments and warranty plans? ours is up for renewal, but it came with the house, so i'm starting to do my homework on what's necessary vs. what's BS. anyone know anything? are the warranties necessary/good idea, or are they just money suckers? am i ok if i just get a yearly treatment? how likely is it that i'll get termites? (i have a cedar house.)

i wouldnt worry about it and just make sure you check up for them every now and then. Treating may be cheaper than a warranty, but my uncle had some... shall we say... massive termite damage on his fairly new home and it wasnt that cheap to repair the damage they caused.

Some homeowners insurance plans will give you a discount on your rate if you get a fresh termite seal installed under your house. I know that works for houses built on a slab, it may also apply to those with basements/crawlspaces.

61745a51f69a6b3a.jpg

What kinda sub structure does it have?

I would keep it. Termite damage is not cheap.

cedar house? i'd keep the best coverage you can't afford. the beggars don't always announce their arrival... they prefer to just hang out in the shadows until the roof caves in.

I'm in ur house, eating ur wallz.

I'm in yer floor, eatin yer boardz.

edit: The hardcore way to get rid of termites is this:

1) Buy box of matches.

2) Go to the middle of the house.

3) Open match box.

4) Pull out matches and start striking them and tossing them in all directions.

5) Start moving towards exit.

6) Keep striking and tossing matches as you walk.

7) Exit house.

8) Get in car.

9) Crash car into nearby fire hydrants, rendering them inoperable.

10) Block street access to your house with the car.

11) Laugh as the fire department tries to help.

12) No more termites.

13) Insurance profit?

Last edited:
The best thing you can get is a Termidor treatment where they dig a trench around your house and spread chemical in that trench. It has a long lifespan and it's deadly up to 8 or so generations, which means it's carried in their feces and it can kill up to the 8th time it's ingested as a result of cleaning - bugs clean themselves like cats. Bait systems such as Sentricon are so so, but a lot of the times they'll give you a decent damage warranty, but our contracts are worded to where your warranty doesn't take effect until 18 months after you sign thus leaving you high and dry if a problem develops in the 13th month or so. Please feel free to pm me with any questions and I can get solid answers for them.

I'm in yer floor, eatin yer boardz.

edit: The hardcore way to get rid of termites is this:

1) Buy box of matches.

2) Go to the middle of the house.

3) Open match box.

4) Pull out matches and start striking them and tossing them in all directions.

5) Start moving towards exit.

6) Keep striking and tossing matches as you walk.

7) Exit house.

8) Get in car.

9) Crash car into nearby fire hydrants, rendering them inoperable.

10) Block street access to your house with the car.

11) Laugh as the fire department tries to help.

12) No more termites.

13) Insurance profit?
Yeah, except you took care of the termite problem with the house but not the termites themselves.

cool, shawndavid. the dude talked about the trench around the house and drilling a few holes in the driveway and patching them back up.
it looks like my two options are:
"treatment only warranty", where i pay $175 a year and they "will be there to treat the infestation at no charge to me." it doesn't cover damages caused by an infestation.

"$100,000 damage repair warranty", same as above but with repair of covered damage up to $100,000. it has a seven-year warranty. it costs $650 with a renewal fee every year of $175.

i'm trying to figure out if i need the insurance to go with the treatments or not.

That just depends on your decision. The trenches work the best so it's unlikely that you'd need the warranty, but I don't want you to get a couple years down the road and have a problem. If your house is mostly wood I would suggest the warranty - many of the homes down here have a cinder block structure so our main concerns surround termites building mud tubes up the wall to the rafters.

Find a company does does a free inspection (most do) pick the guys brain as he roams around your house, and then go with your gut. I have a plan that costs me $100 bucks a year and has a warranty for damage, but I forget what it is.