anyone here have a brown thumb?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i'm looking to get some indoor plants and am trying to do some research. i'm wondering if anyone here can give me some recommendations on what to get. i'm looking for plants that like low-light, as we don't have any direct sunlight in the house.
i have been wanting an orange tree for years, and i'm about ready to get one. anyone know about these?

do you want something useful, aside from the aesthetics, like fruit, vegetables or herbs?

One good indoorsy plant I just remembered is called a creeping fig. Its an ivy, but it has a cool shape to the leaves and grows well indoors in low light. I havent been able to find one around here tho.

thrawn said:
do you want something useful, aside from the aesthetics, like fruit, vegetables or herbs?

i'd love some if they don't need a lot of space nor light. i'd love a garden, but i don't really ahve a place to put one, and because of all the trees, our property is mostly shaded.

Thorn Bird said:
i'd love some if they don't need a lot of space nor light. i'd love a garden, but i don't really ahve a place to put one, and because of all the trees, our property is mostly shaded.

try some mints, spearmint or peppermint. they have broad leaves and usually do well.

Impatiens are good indoor plants. They can be outdoor too, but they do well inside. They like the shade so you would be safe. They also come in tons of colours, so very pretty too!

Philodendrons also require low light, so that's a safe bet also :)

April23 said:
GOsh I have lots of plants. Maybe one day i'l take some pics of them beautys

so the next time you're up this way you can bring me some starter bits? :hi2u: when are you losers coming this way? :D

I had a fern named Frank this year. He died. It was sad too, he got water and light but plants easily reflect what most feel about me. A slow painful death is better than hanging around.