Anyone Ever Own Or Have Experience With An Audi A4?

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
Kiwi and I considering getting one, so I thought I'd ask if any of you had had experience with them. We'll more than likely be getting a 1999-2003 (somewhere in there) for about $13-15k. Anyone a previous owner or had a friend with good/bad experiences?

I've been reading about them and the things that interest me are AWD, strong suspension and room for 2 car seats but (if possible) still "fun" to drive with at least 20mpg in city. Any other suggestions you guys could make that might be a match? I've looked at a few Subes but they're a little more expensive unfortunately. Any help you guys can toss out would be appreciated.

My uncle sells autos, they are ok. I'm more of a fan of the Honda Insight, but I don't get into cars. If you do, the price for car ratio seems good. This was the one that he wouldn't let me drive, he just got it at the time. The crossfire (odd looking foreign thing) is a fun drive, the mini copper rocks my face off, and the ferrari is fun as shit to ride in but that's all I've got for you.

I hope that helps. If not, feel free to bitch at me ITT or via PM. kthnx

We have actually moved the Subaru Impreza (RS or WRX whatever we find) to the top of our list and if Knyte can find a babysitter we are going to go test drive them tonight.

Okay first off, the Impreza 2.5RS is a waaaay better looking car than the A4 (it looks like a Jetta), but why are you comparing the two of them? When I think of 2.5RS I think of rally possibilities - an Audi A4? That's more of a pratical car for a young family that is willing to pay a little more for the Audi name. You'll hear from some people that Audi is unreliable, that's b.s. - they had some troubles with their transmissions back when they were tweaking the twin turbos on their late 90 model S6 and got some flak for it. Other than that the A4 is a nice 4 door sedan.

side note: I dated a girl that drove one and when I could get my hands on her keys when she wasn't around I tested this car to its limits (yes I'm a driving enthusiast) - don't expect big things from this car on twisties, the handling was okay, but I actually hit some under steering which is bad news in a front wheel drive car. I don't know the exact set up, but the weight distribution feels a little bit heavy in the front. Oh well, it's a sedan so you shouldn't expect big things, it does have a little bit of pep (200 bhp, with a CVT turbo), for a base model, but do yourself a favor and correct the handling issues with an all wheel drive quattro

summary: the A4 is a wonderful 4 door sedan - can be fun to drive, but its real value is the timeless audi interior

We would definitely get the quattro if we go with the Audi, we are comparing the 2 for the all wheel drive. It would be used as a family vehicle, but we want something that will handle well during the winters and have decided to wait on the SUV with 4 wheel drive until we need the bigger vehicle in 3ish years.

kiwi said:
We would definitely get the quattro if we go with the Audi, we are comparing the 2 for the all wheel drive. It would be used as a family vehicle, but we want something that will handle well during the winters and have decided to wait on the SUV with 4 wheel drive until we need the bigger vehicle in 3ish years.
I hate SUVs so very much

check out http://www.edmunds.com/ for more info on the Audi A4

and please, please never buy an SUV

I think we'll probably end up with an Impreza. Personally I want the WRX (of course), but will be happy with an RS if that's what we end up with.

I'm terrible with car sales men, but know that Kelly Blue Book for the range of vehicle we want is about 13k-14k, with dealers asking close to 17k. Any tips?

kiwi said:
We have actually moved the Subaru Impreza (RS or WRX whatever we find) to the top of our list and if Knyte can find a babysitter we are going to go test drive them tonight.

Good thing you reminded me, who should I call? I'm out of ideas.

If you want the car for the long haul, stay away from German vehicles. They are notorious for electrical problems. However they are extremely fun to drive.

Not a bad car, but I'm alot more partial to Saab's. A4's are common as muck here and usually have a pretty bad reputation.

SpangeMonkee said:
Saab is what you do when you own one.
The 9-5's are relatively trouble free *shrug*

Mine would've been fine for a couple hundred thousand miles easy were it not for the accident

The older ones were plauged with electronic and automatic transmission problems, the manuals were always reliable and the 9-5's have an auto tranny made by the folks who supply Lexus.

I hear the new 9-3's are full of problems though :fly: of course they're more like an Opel or Chevy Malibu than a Saab....